New Zealand IT Professionals?

jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am interested in some feedback from any IT professionals currently in New Zealand. I have a particular interest in Auckland, but any feedback would be appreciated. How would you describe the job market there, quality of life, cost of living ect.
A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
MCSA:M, MCSE:S
(MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)

Comments

• RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Hi,

I'm currently working as a Systems Admin in Christchurch, NZ. There are some great jobs here and the quality of life is great :).. Cant say the same for the Pay however..

Moving across the ditch to Australia I could get an extra 15-25k for the same type of position but the lifestyle I have here is worth staying.

I was lucky enough to get a job outside of Auckland however there are lots a decent jobs there if you can put up with the City, Just personally, Worst city I have ever lived in lol.. Traffic is a massive issue there at the moment and the general city life there isn't for me.. Not the real NZ I love. I think it would be better to get a decent paying job in Australia than to live in Aucks.

Thats just me though, I have some mates there that are loving it . In Christchurch (South Island) I can work a long day in the office, then throw my Bike on the back of my car and within 40mins I can be riding the single track up in the port hills above the city:) Couldn't do that in Aucks. used to take me 2-3 hours just to get home from the office :O

Check out www.seek.co.nz Good job hunting site for NZ, Might give you an idea on whats about.. Keep in mind we have been in a recession here since the start of the year, Not as many employers hiring at the moment... The company I work for has already done 2 rounds of lay-offs and have about 20 positions in IT spare that they wont fill >_< tough times.

My 2 cents, Hope it helps,

Cheers, Rev.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I refuse to comment on the grounds that I might incriminate myself icon_cool.gif

I'm in Hamilton, about an hour south of Dorkland and I am glad there is hills between us. That seems to be keeping the sprawl that is Aucks at bay. Kind of reminds me of SoCal and how it is now city dang near from Santa Barbara to Orange.

As Rev says, wages are crap but the lifestyle can be awesome. Salaries are better in Auckland and Wellington, but why anyone would want to live in either place is beyond me icon_lol.gif

Oh Rev - I am about 2 1/2 minutes from the track we run our 6hr race on icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Nice self portrait there AlanJames. I always had worries about you Aussies icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You could just pass that off as a welshman (I would).
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    Well Pash - the is a state in Aussie called New South Wales. I guess that says enough aye?

:P
    www.supercross.com