Options

What doors opened for you after obtaining CCNP?

2»

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    6stitches wrote:

It sucks that it's hard to break into high level anything, ...

I don't see many companies hiring wellrounded folks.

Companies will hire for what they need at the time. However, there is a trick you are missing here.. Once you are into the higher level companies, it's a lot easier to move around after the initial year - 18 months.

With close to 15 years senior IT support for very large user bases, I started in a large company as just another application support bod. 18 months later I moved sideways when an opportunity opened and now am comms manager for several of their huge data centres.

It can pay long term to aim for the company and not the immediate role sometimes.
    Kam.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    mikej412 wrote:
    my understanding is it's not possible to **** the lab.
    It's more accurate to say that you can't **** a CCIE Interview.

Now THAT is what you would call a nerve racking interview !
    Kam.
  • Options
    CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    fonquefonque Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have no idea what doors getting my CCNP will open up. But I am going after my CCNP to move up at my current job. CCNP will allow me to move from out of the NOC, to an implementation team, when a spot opens up or to a team that needs more man power.
    I will be able to get more design/implementation under my belt.
    I program my heart to beat breakbeats and hum basslines in exhalation.... matter, verse, spirit
  • Options
    JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    i don't have any idea where it'll lead me although obviously i have my hopes. one thing i know is the knowledge from ccnp won't do me any harm in the 30+ years that i may still be working.
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    im hoping it will plant me a job, so i can get some experience... but i am a long way from there..

also i am hoping the CCIP will do the same when i achieve that..

idk, if im going to find a job first, or go straight to college. i am about 80 percent sure, i am going to go to college first and get the bachelors, and get some certs while in college, by then i should have the CCSP on top of everything else, which will hopefully land me a job with the certs, knowledge, and degree..
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lildeezul wrote: »
    im hoping it will plant me a job, so i can get some experience... but i am a long way from there..

also i am hoping the CCIP will do the same when i achieve that..

idk, if im going to find a job first, or go straight to college. i am about 80 percent sure, i am going to go to college first and get the bachelors, and get some certs while in college, by then i should have the CCSP on top of everything else, which will hopefully land me a job with the certs, knowledge, and degree..

Given the option, go to college and get your degree, once you start working it is difficult to go back.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote: »
    Given the option, go to college and get your degree, once you start working it is difficult to go back.

I second that notion. Plus while working on a degree in information system or networking, you'll probably kill the bell curve because you've already been studying Cisco. :) It helps to gain the respect of your professors by demonstrating your thrive to learn as they might help open the doors to the industry so that you can apply what you've learned.

A college degree opens doors just like getting a CCNP or any higher level cert. They are all considered long term accomplishments that warrant great respect. You can't brain **** a degree from a reputable college or university.
  • Options
    sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    I'll have to third the motion on getting your degree. I took the long and winding road to my college degee (7 yrs military, wife, 2 kids, etc.). It might not be your dream situation, but it will definitely open more doors than certifications. On an off note, I have seen a lot of people with finance and business degrees that enter the world of Cisco. Any particular reason why?
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sides14 wrote: »
    On an off note, I have seen a lot of people with finance and business degrees that enter the world of Cisco. Any particular reason why?

One of my friends graduated with a BA:Economics, he worked student IT positions during school and landed computer lab lead before graduation. That experience translated into a manager position for a small company that later transitioned into a Cisco networking consultancy while studying for his Masters of Science in Information Systems. He now works as the Network Systems Manager for a medium sized company with a Masters degree (MSIS), no IT certifications, and a butt load of experience and real world applied IT knowledge. His goal for 2009 and first IT cert is CCNA, presuming his newly wedded wife will let him. Great gal, BTW. :)

CCNP will open doors, but so will degrees and seasoned experience. It all comes down to how you market yourself and how you manage your career.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    mamono wrote: »
    One of my friends graduated with a BA:Economics, he worked student IT positions during school and landed computer lab lead before graduation. That experience translated into a manager position for a small company that later transitioned into a Cisco networking consultancy while studying for his Masters of Science in Information Systems. He now works as the Network Systems Manager for a medium sized company with a Masters degree (MSIS), no IT certifications, and a butt load of experience and real world applied IT knowledge. His goal for 2009 and first IT cert is CCNA, presuming his newly wedded wife will let him.

I have a manager in a similar situation... a history major, who fell into the Manager's role, and then was rotated into the HelpDesk Managers role, and then the Network Management role, and learned on the job while there.

I think one thing is certain though... that's damn lucky.

Take the example mamono just mentioned. Even with an MSIS, I'd be surprised if anyone would be considered for such a role as Network Systems Manager who doesn't have a single Cisco cert (assuming it's a cisco shop), out of the gate. Shoot, no HR department would have even considered their resume after the vetting process, since no "cisco" tags would be found. Stories like these exist, but for the average person getting into the cisco world, or looking to make a vertical move, there's nothing better for getting a resume short-listed than cisco certs.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    fonquefonque Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sides14 wrote: »
    I'll have to third the motion on getting your degree. I took the long and winding road to my college degee (7 yrs military, wife, 2 kids, etc.). It might not be your dream situation, but it will definitely open more doors than certifications. On an off note, I have seen a lot of people with finance and business degrees that enter the world of Cisco. Any particular reason why?

im curious about this too. I have a couple co-workers with finance degrees, then transitioned into networking.
    I program my heart to beat breakbeats and hum basslines in exhalation.... matter, verse, spirit