Mixing memory

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Can anyone tell me which is the quickest, I upgraded the memory in a PC the other day

1 X 1Gig PC3200
1 X 1Gig PC3200
1 X 256Mb PC2100

or just

1 X 1Gig PC3200
1 X 1Gig PC3200

The speed of the 256 will bring down the other 2, but not sure which is faster as this may only be marginal

Any help would be great

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • photexphotex Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep I agree, drop the 256 MB.
    Best practise is never to mix different types of memory, is this case PC3200 and PC 2100.
    I must admit, back in the old days icon_rolleyes.gif I did mix up one time, and the result was terrible icon_confused.gif comp became veeerrrryyyyyyy slow.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What about different manufacturers of same type memory? I remember a few years ago it was never recommended to use different makes of memory on the same board. Can anyone shed light on this for me? :D
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Pash wrote:
    What about different manufacturers of same type memory? I remember a few years ago it was never recommended to use different makes of memory on the same board. Can anyone shed light on this for me? :D

As long as the timings are similar.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think best practice is to still use sticks from a single manufacturer. Like Fade said though, you'll be able to get it to work most the time, as long as they are similar.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Keep the old RAM in your junk box for one day when you have the need to add RAM to a very old computer.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pash wrote:

As long as the timings are similar.

Thanks Fade.

I guess never really had to consider this as I have always brought same pairs of memory sticks.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.