Options

Online Degrees

sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
So, how much weight are these given?

I've been looking at http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees.shtml (Penn State Online) and I'm trying to figure out if these online colleges are on the up and up.

I never went to college, but I do have a decent paying job. It's just one of those things I wish I did but was too lazy (being honest here icon_redface.gif) to do in my younger years. Now, with a full time job and the wife, not really feasible for me to to school now.

Do you really never need to step foot in a classroom? Anyone here get a degree from an online place? Any stories, good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    JJArmsJJArms Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sambuca69 wrote:
    So, how much weight are these given?

I've been looking at http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees.shtml (Penn State Online) and I'm trying to figure out if these online colleges are on the up and up.

I never went to college, but I do have a decent paying job. It's just one of those things I wish I did but was too lazy (being honest here icon_redface.gif) to do in my younger years. Now, with a full time job and the wife, not really feasible for me to to school now.

Do you really never need to step foot in a classroom? Anyone here get a degree from an online place? Any stories, good or bad?

I have found that online classrooms were the very best thing for me. In a little over four years of non-stop classes (one class into another class with no breaks in between) I got my BSIT and MIS degrees.

I hate sitting in a classroom and the idea of working a full day and then having to go to school at night for 3 hours turned my stomach; I would rather have root-canal done.

Online classrooms are a different feel to them -- the professors are professionals who actual work in the field they are teaching so they can tell when you are BSing them.

There is also writing -- mountains and mountains of writing. Each week you can expect to write a 5 page paper minimum on a topic, while working with your assigned teams, readings, and participating in classroom conversations.

There is no hand holding -- you screw up and you are penalized 10% for each day late; you don't interact a minimum of 2 times a day for a minimum of 4 days in a week and you are penalized.

The beauty of online classrooms is that you can learn when it is ideal for you -- my ideal time was about 4 AM (I am a morning-person) before work. Nothing could beat sitting in class while wearing my PJs and drinking hazelnut coffee.

Basically for an online classrooms you will need a boat-load of discipline, no social life, and a very understanding family. Since you are in classes continuously, you will need to drag a laptop with you everywhere -- which was really annoying when the Misses and I went to Disney.

Online classrooms are the best if you are mentally strong enough.

Regards,

JJArms~
  • Options
    AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    If you are a highly, self-motivated person, distance learning can be extremely worthwhile. The flexibility you have with managing your school-work-life balance is tremendous. I used to do a little school work in the early morning before work and then some more in the evening before bed. The internet is not your only resource though. You can converse with the instructor via phone, email, and instant messenger as well. If you happen to live close to classmates, meeting up in person is always a possibility.

Curriculum varies between schools, however, most instructors will expect participation daily, or of a significant capacity several times a week.

I went to a local community college for 2 years to get my Associates. I began working full time during those two years so I had to adjust my schedule which was a pain. Once it came time to continue with earning a Bachelor’s degree, I decided to go with Capella University (www.capella.edu). I happened to live abroad for my last year which allowed me to continue and finish without any interruptions!

All in all, it was a good experience.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Online school is the way to go for some people. I piked Devry University and have been going there for almost 2 years. Online school is just like normal school without the travel. The amount of work you have to do is right on pace if not more. For Devry at least for networking you need to read a cisco odom book in 8 weeks. At 4 weeks you have midterms and at 8 of course you have finals. Its extremely fast paced with a complete lack for a break.

I dont really think people that recruit for IT care where you came from. I believe they just want to see that you put in the work for the Degree. I look forward to finally be able to put mine on my resume but have a little more to go.

Best of luck at whatever you do
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    I just started on my masters and I love it. For my program, the classes are live using a log in system and VOIP so we can ask questions, comment, and listen to the teacher. I have done both sync and async online classes and I find with async, I get much more out of the course.

If you are that concerned with the credibility of the school, alot of traditional schools have online portions so at the end of the day, your degree will have the school name on it.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    With the way the economy is going and the pay cuts at my work I am thinking about doing online school and getting my bs in networking/telecommunications. I looked at itt tech and univ. of pheonix they both dont look bad but are a little pricey.
  • Options
    AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    One thing I forgot to mention, just make sure the online college is nationally recognized as an accredited institution. Otherwise, their value may lack and credits earned won't be transferrable.

http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html

Having a degree from a well known school is overrated icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    HaywoodBurnerHaywoodBurner Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My brother went to Devry (not online) and I recall that it was very expensive.
    Working on my CCENT, then on to CCNA
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    The PSU program will be expensive but PSU is a great school for IT. I never went there myself for my BS but had applied and got in but chose a different school. Any B&M college that is regionally accredited and has an online/distance education program I think is a good choice.