Options

practice router for home

xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
I was considering buying a router used from ebay or the like and i wanted to know what anyone could recommend... I would like to spend no more than circa $100 since it would just be for practice and studying... I also might buy a switch to go along with it... i was thinking a 2500 series since they seem to be cheapest... I also don't want a sim because i already have one and would like something I can actually get my hands dirty with... thanks

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    A 2501 router and a 2950 switch are good enough, although a second router is recommended so that you can practice all the different routing protocols.

Get your hands dirty! that's the key

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend at least 2 routers and one switch. The 2501 and a 2900 will do just fine.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    viper75 wrote:
    I would recommend at least 2 routers and one switch. The 2501 and a 2900 will do just fine.

I agree...I would get two routers....watch ebay..you can get them pretty cheap. Just make sure that they come with a no DOA. You can also check out r1r2.com . They used to have two free routers you can configure. I am not sure if this is still the case....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA