Options

RealVNC/TightVNC/RDP?

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
Well, where I currently work is a factory. (We manufacture Military Insignia)

I'd say 70% of the machines are still running Windows 2000.

So RDP doesn't seem to work, and there's no other remote desktop system in place.

I'm getting a little tired of walking a mile (I kid you not) down the factory to check one little thing, and would like to remote into the machines.

So, what are you guys using? I've never set anything up like this before. I used WinVNC at my old job, but all I knew was you typed in the computer or IP name. (I just touched the viewer)

Any ideas/suggestions/etc.??

Thanks,
Fade icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Dameware?

There's tons of threads on this.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940

So RDP doesn't seem to work, and there's no other remote desktop system in place.

I'm getting a little tired of walking a mile (I kid you not) down the factory to check one little thing, and would like to remote into the machines.

So, what are you guys using? I've never set anything up like this before. I used WinVNC at my old job, but all I knew was you typed in the computer or IP name. (I just touched the viewer)

Thanks,
    Fade icon_cool.gif

Remember that you gotta install Terminal Services and select Remote Administration mode in W2K. It's only available on W2K Server and above, not supported on W2K Pro.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    TightVNC is great for a free (I think) solution.
  • Options
    nevolved wrote:
    TightVNC is great for a free (I think) solution.

I should mention I'm look for free. icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll second TightVNC as a great free solution.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:

I cant seem to get it to work properly though. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    What's the problem you are running into with it?
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    undomiel wrote:

I cant seem to get it to work properly though. icon_sad.gif

Take a look at your Anti-Virus Software. Sometimes there are policies for unwanted programs. We are running McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator and have a slue of unwanted programs identified.

Just a thought....
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    JJArmsJJArms Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□

Thanks,
    Fade icon_cool.gif

I use TightVNC at work -- simple to install and easy to use. My only recommendations is close it when you are done.

Regards,

JJArms~
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:

Well, my boss told me to make my machine the server, she doesn't want it to run on any of the actual servers.

Can't connect to any PCs.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:

Well, my boss told me to make my machine the server, she doesn't want it to run on any of the actual servers.

I think I can help -- the server are put on the client machine (it is backwards)

Basically you put the VNC server on the workstations and you access that server from your computer.

Regards,

JJArms~
  • Options
    JJArms wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

I think I can help -- the server are put on the client machine (it is backwards)

Basically you put the VNC server on the workstations and you access that server from your computer.

Regards,

JJArms~

ah ha! so mine will be the only one w/o the server, correct?

Also, anyone know how I can deploy these without running around to each machine? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JJArms wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

Regards,

JJArms~

Also, anyone know how I can deploy these without running around to each machine? icon_lol.gif

Correct!

I added the TightVNC to my Ghost image so any computer reformatted gets the VNC; but it seems that you will have to install TightVNC the old fashioned way -- sneaker net.

Regards,

JJArms~

PS Use a good password on your TightVNC, I found one lady today at work trying to crack the password -- she was bored.
  • Options
    JJArms wrote:
    JJArms wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

Regards,

JJArms~

Correct!

I added the TightVNC to my Ghost image so any computer reformatted gets the VNC; but it seems that you will have to install TightVNC the old fashioned way -- sneaker net.

Regards,

JJArms~

PS Use a good password on your TightVNC, I found one lady today at work trying to crack the password -- she was bored.

Thanks for the heads up icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I'm in the same situation actually. We have a bunch of Win 2k boxes, we just create an image that has TightVNC server installed and go from there. If you deploy it on a Windows XP box, be sure to either add an exception for port 5900 in the Firewall or disable the software firewall all together (providing you have a physical firewall between the machines and the internet).
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    phantasm wrote:
    I'm in the same situation actually. We have a bunch of Win 2k boxes, we just create an image that has TightVNC server installed and go from there. If you deploy it on a Windows XP box, be sure to either add an exception for port 5900 in the Firewall or disable the software firewall all together (providing you have a physical firewall between the machines and the internet).

Well it's working now, woo hoo! I guess tomorrow/this week I'll be sneaker netting it around the office & factory. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    try teamviewer kinda free.. no need for ips..
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    JJArms wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

Regards,

JJArms~

Same question here. Is there a way to assign or publish this... I think only .msi files can be published.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    JJArms wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

Regards,

JJArms~

Same question here. Is there a way to assign or publish this... I think only .msi files can be published.

Yeah I'm pretty sure .msi can only be pushed via GP.

Aren't there packagers out there to make msi's?
  • Options
    Put it on a share and have a login script install it.
    If you want to install TightVNC on a number of computers, and do not want to repeatedly enter the same password on each machine, install TightVNC once and set the password, then copy the registry settings to other computers. TightVNC settings can be found in the following sections in the registry:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3
    * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ORL\WinVNC3

The TightVNC installer can work in silent mode and not ask questions during installation (but it's possible that it might show message boxes if there are any errors). In this mode TightVNC will be installed into the default directory, that is, the TightVNC subdirectory in the Program Files). Here is the command line to install TightVNC in silent mode:

tightvnc-1.3.9-setup.exe /sp- /verysilent

Export those registry keys from a system you've already installed and configured on and then use the script that installs VNC to also import those keys.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I use UltraVNC because it can authenticate against a Windows domain. Setup a server VNC group and a workstation VNC group. End user support get rights to the workstation VNC group. Admins get the server VNC group. etc...
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    I use UltraVNC because it can authenticate against a Windows domain. Setup a server VNC group and a workstation VNC group. End user support get rights to the workstation VNC group. Admins get the server VNC group. etc...
    I use UltraVNC if I ever use a VNC product because of the video drivers.

Mostly I stick to RDP.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    I use TightVNC for my at home Voip telephone box that I built. The only problem is that some programs cannot be accessed. Example: I cannot access or configure ZoneAlarm , close pop-ups or minimize to tray and cannot access or control kaspersky Antivirus settings. Other then that it works nice. Any one else have these problems?
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Am using RealVNC to administer about 20 clients across two sites that are 6 hours drive from here.