Options

Test tomorrow - couple of questions

leonar40leonar40 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I feel like I am pretty well prepared (I used Techskills, ****, and the Glenn/Northrup book). However, I have a couple of questions left.

1. I seem to get confused on when to apply a domain policy to the user and when to the computer. Sometimes the question even says that you want to apply the policy specifically for a person by name, but when I select user on the practice test, it says that it's wrong. Is there a trick to always knowing which one is right?

3. Similarly I get confused about when to apply a software push to a user and when to a computer. I know that you can only publish to a user, but when do you apply to a user and when to a computer?

2. Those tricky network diagram questions where user A is on subnet X but can't connect to subnet Y for some reason. It seems like the problem is different for different examples that I have seen. Sometimes the gateway is wrong, sometimes the subnet mask is incorrect, sometimes the DNS or WINS server isn't right. I am trying to develop a checklist of things to look at when it shows the ipconfig result. Can someone help?

Thanks a lot. I sure have studied long and hard for this thing (about 6 weeks) so I hope that I pass it! I passed CompTIA Security + on the first try, so at least I kinda know what I am in for.

- Jason

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    First off whatever material you were using behind the xxxxxxxxx I would ditch immediately as that's probably a braindump which is cheating and puts your certifications at risk.That said let's go on to your questions.

1. Where you apply the policy depends upon what you are needing to do. When you run gpedit.msc on your XP desktop for modifying local policy you see that it is split into two sections, users and computers. When a policy is created in the domain it operates off the same policies. So you would want to apply settings that were set on the computer side to a computer account and settings on the user side to a user account. So always investigate what the settings are that are being applied.

3. This one depends upon the desired intent. If the software is to be available to all users then you'd just push it to the computer but if it is for a particular group of users then you'd be pushing it to users and not a computer.

2. Well you have to check what the problem is. First off check the ip address and if you see 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x then you know that they are in need of an ip address. If the question mentions they can communicate with computers on their subnet but that's it then look at that default gateway. If they have a valid ip address but can't talk with computers on their subnet then check their subnet mask. If they can communicate by ip address but not by name then check their DNS. Valid ip address is generally the easiest thing to check then whether they have a gateway and it is a correct gateway or not comes next.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    leonar40leonar40 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you that is exactly what I wanted, especially on the last question.
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    leonar40 wrote:
    I feel like I am pretty well prepared (I used Techskills, xxxxxxxxxx, and the Glenn/Northrup book). However, I have a couple of questions left.

1. I seem to get confused on when to apply a domain policy to the user and when to the computer. Sometimes the question even says that you want to apply the policy specifically for a person by name, but when I select user on the practice test, it says that it's wrong. Is there a trick to always knowing which one is right?

3. Similarly I get confused about when to apply a software push to a user and when to a computer. I know that you can only publish to a user, but when do you apply to a user and when to a computer?

2. Those tricky network diagram questions where user A is on subnet X but can't connect to subnet Y for some reason. It seems like the problem is different for different examples that I have seen. Sometimes the gateway is wrong, sometimes the subnet mask is incorrect, sometimes the DNS or WINS server isn't right. I am trying to develop a checklist of things to look at when it shows the ipconfig result. Can someone help?

Thanks a lot. I sure have studied long and hard for this thing (about 6 weeks) so I hope that I pass it! I passed CompTIA Security + on the first try, so at least I kinda know what I am in for.

- Jason

TechSkills? Yeah I was a student there. Sad how they handed me the braindump. I refused to used it.