Options

Ebook Readers.

stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
Is anyone using an e-book reader for their certification studies? Any suggestions or recommendation?

I saw the up coming release of the Foxit eSlick reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/) and this re-ignited my interest.

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    From my understanding from ebook enthusiasts, go Amazon Kindle or bust.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    From my understanding from ebook enthusiasts, go Amazon Kindle or bust.

That's my understanding as well. Although, the price/features aren't there yet for me.

The eSlick looks interesting; I like the design. I'll keep an eye out for a review of those.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm quite partial to the Sony PRS-505 but as far as certification study goes I would hold out until someone releases a larger screen that would match closely with the format of most certification books, right now all the readers on the market are designed for paperback sized formats.

One option I like with the Sony and it might also be on the Kindle as well is to switch to landscape viewing to fit larger pages like those on certification books.

http://www.mobileread.com/ is a great source for anything ebook related.

EDIT: It looks like someone has released a larger format ebook that uses eInk but it is twice as expensive. http://www.irextechnologies.com/
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was just about to make a thread about e-book readers since I'm getting tired of hauling several thick books around.

Does anybody, particularly Nobylspoon, have any feedback on how responsive PDF's are on the Sony PRS-505 as well as how bad the formatting appears? I've tried the route of reading a PDF on my notebook, that doesn't fly for me because I hate having to scroll down. My notebook is capable of 1600x1200 which can fit a full page on but the text becomes a bit too small for my eyes at the distance I generally sit. Only real solution for reading on a computer (which I would generally have available) would be a display that swivels but I'm not sure how well my eyes would handle reading from a display on a computer for a while - I've had fairly bad eye strain issues due to a very slight astigmatism, which is better with my prescription glasses, but still shows it's head from time to time.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was just about to make a thread about e-book readers since I'm getting tired of hauling several thick books around.

Does anybody, particularly Nobylspoon, have any feedback on how responsive PDF's are on the Sony PRS-505 as well as how bad the formatting appears? I've tried the route of reading a PDF on my notebook, that doesn't fly for me because I hate having to scroll down. My notebook is capable of 1600x1200 which can fit a full page on but the text becomes a bit too small for my eyes at the distance I generally sit. Only real solution for reading on a computer (which I would generally have available) would be a display that swivels but I'm not sure how well my eyes would handle reading from a display on a computer for a while - I've had fairly bad eye strain issues due to a very slight astigmatism, which is better with my prescription glasses, but still shows it's head from time to time.

If you notebook video driver supports it, rotate the desktop 90 degrees and hold it sideways icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□

There is a huge difference between reading from an LCD screen on a laptop and an eInk screen on a reader. The eInk really feels like you are reading from a printed book with no strain on the eyes. Studies have also shown that you retain less information read from backlit documents such as those on a computer screen.

There is software for the ebooks called Calibre that is designed to better format PDFs for the reader but it really just depends on the PDF. Sony updated the firmware on the 505 for better PDF support but it still isnt the best thing to use on all PDFs. One trick that alot of users do is rotate the 505 90 degrees and scroll down through the page. Keep in mind that the screen on the 505 and most readers in its class is alot smaller then the standard size of most certification books.

I am saving up for the Irex D1000S, its the largest ebook reader on the market so no need to resize and reformat PDFs, also it has built in Wacom penabled technology so you can use it as a notebook or take notes on your PDF document. They are about $750 though...
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally use an Amazon Kindle for my studies. I like it a lot and use Mobipocket to convert my PDF's. Sometimes the images on the PDF documents don't convert properly, but that's no big deal as I usually have my laptop open to view the PDF for the diagrams or I have the physical book nearby. The WhisperNet capabilities of the Kindle have come in handy before and I like how user friendly it is. Reading really is quite easy on the Kindle. I have about 200MB of study music specifically loaded on it and it plays just fine randomly selecting songs with command shortcuts if I want to control the player. I use my Blackberry for my RSS feeds, e-mail, and web access, but that can also be accessed on the Kindle at no additional charge since the wireless internet access is included with the hardware cost for as long as Amazon keeps it live (via Sprint EVDO WhisperNet).

The music does hesitate a little during the first few seconds as it switches songs, but that doesn't really bother me. I attribute that to the memory card access speed and processor limitations. Oh, and I wish it were in black. Haha... I'm happy with my Kindle. I recommend one.

Amazon is working on the release of the next generation Kindle for sometime in 2009 with rumors that they are going to remove the SD memory card slot, a sleeker slimmer form factor, and a larger screen.

Some users have been able to use specific 16GB SDHC cards without problems. Amazon says it only supports 4GB SD.

I recommend that you borrow one and try it out, it is not everyone's cup of tea. eBook readers still have a long way to go, IMHO. Then again, I have high expectations because I'm spoiled by Star Trek and sci-fi anime! Hahaha...
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between reading from an LCD screen on a laptop and an eInk screen on a reader. The eInk really feels like you are reading from a printed book with no strain on the eyes. Studies have also shown that you retain less information read from backlit documents such as those on a computer screen.
    I am saving up for the Irex D1000S, its the largest ebook reader on the market so no need to resize and reformat PDFs, also it has built in Wacom penabled technology so you can use it as a notebook or take notes on your PDF document. They are about $750 though...

This is why I was leaning more towards an eInk screen device, as I already have eye strain issues after reading text from a LCD display for a while. I've seen the Irex and they look like it would be a great solution. I just can't justify that amount for an e-book reader.

I may be getting my hands on a PRS-700BC to trial and see how well it performs as well as to get my own hands on feel for how the display is since that's one area that has been getting mixed reviews as they redesigned it by adding a touchscreen which some have complained about more glare issues as a result. I guess if I end up getting one to play around with I'll give it a good workout and test various PDF conversion programs to reformat them. I don't think I'm too concerned about retaining the page numbering as much, nor with images being converted well since as mamono pointed out I will also likely have my notebook open as well so I can reference diagrams as well as get back to a particular page should I need to look something up to reference again. If I get one, I'll try and writeup a detailed review and let everybody know how it works.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mamono wrote: »
    The music does hesitate a little during the first few seconds as it switches songs, but that doesn't really bother me. I attribute that to the memory card access speed and processor limitations.

FYI, Music play hesitation fixed if you load up all the music onto the Kindle's on-board memory and have all the books stored on the SD memory card. No big deal, just thought I'd share. :)
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Looks like this plan is out the window for now then. I find that reading from paper is much easier and I seem to retain more. I hate having to print stuff as it is just a waste of time [EDIT] long rant removed icon_wink.gif [EDIT] and the ebook reader looked like the answer.

Here in the UK the Kindle is not available (I don't see any plans to get it here soon either) and the current offerings all seem to have little "features" icon_rolleyes.gif

If I get a "what the heck" moment I'll post what I went for :)

Thanks for all the feedback.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    stupidboy wrote: »
    Looks like this plan is out the window for now then. I find that reading from paper is much easier and I seem to retain more. I hate having to print stuff as it is just a waste of time [EDIT] long rant removed icon_wink.gif [EDIT] and the ebook reader looked like the answer.

Here in the UK the Kindle is not available (I don't see any plans to get it here soon either) and the current offerings all seem to have little "features" icon_rolleyes.gif

If I get a "what the heck" moment I'll post what I went for :)

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Actually I read a number of "rumors" about the Kindle launching soon in the UK (as the 1st place outside of the US) when I was looking into options on getting one and using it here in Canada.

Your wait might not be for as long as you think. :)