Options

Intrusion attack!

nangananga Member Posts: 201
I have this norton AV which often tells me that it has blocked a intrusion attempt from my computer and this particular link opens in my browser.

http://76.74.239.143/zzzzwoeiwoiqi/pdf.php?id=20840&vis=1

Do you guys know whats going on

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Lots of hits in Google indicate that it's a known Trojan distribution site. The speculation is that it's trying a known PDF exploit.
  • Options
    does that mean my machine is infected. !
  • Options
    Update Norton A/V and run a scan.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Better still **** Norton and get away from that inefficient piece of bloatware...
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Better still **** Norton and get away from that inefficient piece of bloatware...

What do you recommend? I use Norton although it comes free with broadband. What else do you think is *best* commercially or free?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I bet he'd say something like this:
    Ahriakin wrote:
    ESET and Kaspersky definitely lead the field. ESET is lighter on resources and a better choice for less intrusive protection (and it has a slightly higher rated AV engine that Kaspersky) but Kaspersky Internet Security has more features (like a full HIPS, SSL interception etc.) that I prefer. Both are great choices though and the only reason I went from freebies back to commercial solutions.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:
    Ahriakin wrote:
    ESET and Kaspersky definitely lead the field. ESET is lighter on resources and a better choice for less intrusive protection (and it has a slightly higher rated AV engine that Kaspersky) but Kaspersky Internet Security has more features (like a full HIPS, SSL interception etc.) that I prefer. Both are great choices though and the only reason I went from freebies back to commercial solutions.

Interesting. I have heard good things about Kaspersky. It's Russian isn't it?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote:
    ...(snip)....

Right, it's official. Dynamik is simply Johanne's Experimental Forum Database AI getting bored and posting here as an actual person !

And yes Kaspersky is cool :) . When you install it you have a simple option to let it ask you for decisions, or operate on it's own in silent mode. The latter I used for the wife's machine and it's never blocked anything it shouldn't or bothered her with a popup dialogue, I chose full control on mine and the granularity of configuration that you do have for each module is great.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'm a big fan of comodo internet security myself, I haven't gotten much out of their AV scan but the HIPS and Firewall features are great. Spyware/AV I use a mix of AVG and Spyware Terminator. They are also all free which is nice!
  • Options
    I am using the Norton Internet security which came along with my machine. It didnt detect anything during the scans as such . I ran the windows defender and a spybot.

Anybody know what is this malware/trojan called specifically. may I can download some tool which might clear this.
  • Options
    Google "PDF Trojan" and read the articles. It's a Trojan that exploits a weakness that has long been in Adobe Reader. The fix is to upgrade Reader to the latest version, or **** it in favor of FoxIt or something similar. I use FoxIt simply because it is faster than AR8 and AR9.
  • Options