home lab vlan testing with one pc

mobr71mobr71 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I was previously using Boson's netsim but bought a home lab kit to get hands on experience.

This may sound stupid but I want to know if theres any way I can test inter VLAN routing with only the one PC I have avaliable.

Somone mentioned extended pings but as far as I know you can not assign an IP to a switch port.

Is there any way I can simulate the IP and DG a PC would be assigned to test my router on a stick config.

Many thanks,

Mo

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You didn't say what equipment you have, but it sounds like you have at least one router capable of supporting 802.1q trunks (and router-on-a-stick), a switch, and a PC.

Put your PC into a different VLAN than what you use for your administrative VLAN on the switch. That gives you 2 different IP address in two different subnets/VLANs that would require 2 sub-interfaces if you configure one router interface to support router-on-a-stick. The switch and PC would configure the default gateway ip address to the corresponding router sub-interface ip address.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mobr71mobr71 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thats a really good idea.

Never thought about routing between between the native VLAN and a created one.

Cheers mate,

Mo