Printing question

Can someone explain to my why choice 1 is not the right answer, it seemed feasible to me, is choice 1 completely wrong or is it just the least best solution to this problem:

You are the help desk manager for your company. You have connected a print device to your Windows XP Professional computer and created a printer for it. Your computer is a member of an Active Directory domain. You have shared your printer as Printer1 and published it to Active Directory.
During the hours 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., you want to restrict access to your print device to members of the Help Desk Reports group. No other users should be able to print to your print device during those hours. During all other hours, all users in the company should have equal access to the print device.

1 . Create a second printer for your print device and name it Printer2. Keep the default configuration for Printer1. For Printer2, remove permissions for the Everyone group and grant the Print permission to the Help Desk Reports group. Also, configure Printer2’s availability to 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

2. Create a second printer for your print device and name it Printer2. Keep the default configuration for Printer1, except configure Printer1’s availability to 2:00 p.m. to 11:00 a.m. For Printer2, remove permissions for the Everyone group and grant the Print permission to the Help Desk Reports group.

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    if you're trying to limit access to the printer between the hours of 11am & 2pm, then choice 1 is flat out not going to cut it. Choice 1 is wrong because it actually allows for access for to the printer for all groups via "Printer 2" between 11am & 2pm.

Choice 2 is the only one that actually does what the question asks - it gives the Help Desk group unfettered access to the printer, but only allows other groups access between 2pm & 11am, which leaves the Help Desk group as the only group being able to access the printer between 11am & 2pm.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    You mention "Choice 1 is wrong because it actually allows for access for to the printer for all groups via "Printer 2" between 11am & 2pm.

But choice "1" clearly states "Remove Permissions for the everyone group" and only give print permissions to the Help Desk group., so how could all groups access printer 2 ? Only the Help desk would be able to access printer 2,

This would give the rest of the groups access to Printer 1, so this solves the problem then. Wouldn't it.
    sorry, I mistyped, should keep the drunken_smilie.gif & posting separate! icon_lol.gif I should have said that it still allows access via Printer 1 settings.

But it still would be choice 2 over choice 1, as #2 actually meets the requirement of only allowing Help Desk to access the printer between 11am & 2pm.
    1 . Create a second printer for your print device and name it Printer2. Keep the default configuration for Printer1. For Printer2, remove permissions for the Everyone group and grant the Print permission to the Help Desk Reports group. Also, configure Printer2’s availability to 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
    Note that Printer 1 & Printer 2 are actually the same printer, just different configurations, so they're basically doors that go to the same room. You want to keep certain people out at certain times, but let others (Help Desk group) in at all times. If you don't limit availability to Printer 1 at all & keep the default settings, then as I understand it you're allowing everyone access to it at all hours. And by configuring Printer 2 to just allow Help Desk to get to it between 11am & 2pm does not keep out others, because the other "door" is still open to all at all times, so you're not meeting the desired goal to keep all but Help Desk out from 11-2 with option 1.

So in Choice 1, even though they *are* being blocked through Printer 2's ("door #2") settings, everyone still has the default/shared access to the "room" through Printer 1's ("door #1") settings.

Got it now :) I didn't realize that printer 1 and printer 2 are actually the same printer. The printers, print drivers, and print devices are all different so that confused me. I need to sort them out.

Thanks for explaining it that way, " the printers are like two doors " letting some in and others out. When you explain it like this I can grasp it much better.

I wish I could say that I understand technical computer language and explainations, but I'm new at this, so when you described it it more simpler terms it starts to click, and this becomes much clearer.

Most of the books I'm afraid are like this, they assume that I'm an administrator already when actually this is my first microsoft cert. thanks again.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Susuandme, have you thought about starting with the MCDST (exams 70-271 and 70-272). They'll be a little easier and might help you get up to speed quicker. It seems like you're trying to start with more difficult material when you haven't developed a solid foundation first, which is probably why you feel like you're in a little over your head.
    dynamik brings up a good point - if you've not got much of a background or taste for technical writing in general, then it might be better to ease into the MS certs with MCDST or even with the Vista 70-620 exam (which is WAY lighter than the 270 XP exam and still counts towards MCSA).

Yes I had considered that, the situation is I have put over 6 months of studying into the 270 exam, and guys you should have seen me back then when I first started, I had no idea what they were talking about on the questions,

Since then I've come a long way, I've pushed myself very hard so I have learned things about XP that I could not have imagined. Each day I spend over 8 hours studying, 12 hours on the weekends.

The reasons I failed the test last time I believe are:

1. The Technical phrasing of the question, it threw me off the track, there is a better term for this, but I did not understand the terminology, so many questions I did not understand what they were even talking about. (That is why I am reading the GLOSSARY, on the backs of the books.

2. The questions are "tricky" and not straightforward, they make you "assume things" "assume situations" that are not clearly defined. The test makes you make "assumptions" about events and actions that are no where to be found in the question.

3. Other reasons I failed beause I have no Network experience whatsoever,
    no career related adminstrative experience at all. I have NEVER connected to a network, and the 270 is all network and active directory scenarios. Also I failed because I am very weak on certain objectives and I have dificulty sorting out questions that go on and on and on, and throw into into many "elements" and "curves" into the question, and was not used to this type of complicated "problem solving". thanks
    I think you would really benefit from some hands on practice. I'd recommend downloading a trial version of Server 2003 & doing a virtual install so you can get some practice with working with XP Pro in a domain setup. It would really be to your advantage to do the practice exercises in a server environment, rather than just reading about them. It would allow you to work through the practice questions and test the different permissions, settings, etc. and really see what happens when you change things. In my opinion, there's no better way to learn than doing. Reading is great, but it can only get you so far.

You can use MS Virtual PC 2007 (full version freeware from MS) for virtualization, & there's also VMWare. I haven't used either as of yet, but I am planning on using Virtual PC to mock up a virtual lab for 290/291 practice for myself.

By the way, what kinds of study materials are you using? Perhaps you need a different book or another study medium (i.e., videos as opposed to books) to help you round out your studies or give you a different perspective.

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really don't know what to suggest besides reading more as you've already said you've played with XP. Maybe do what skrpune suggested and set up XP in a lab in a domain environment. Have you tried the CBTNuggets? I find them to be a great primer before reading a book. Really don't know what else to say... Not to make you afraid, but the 70-270 is probably the easiest MS exam and if you've spent 6 months on it and are having problems still, you have a LONG road ahead of you.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    I haven't taken 270, but in reviewing the exam objectives & doing a comparison, the 620 is WAY easier and has my vote for easiest MS exam (outside of the Office exams). No domain environment, no funky/advanced installations, etc.

It was my first MS exam and while the difficulty of the subject matter was a little lighter & less broad than 270 & others, it was a great intro for me to the type of questions that MS asks on their exams. But even with the difficulty level being less on the Vista exam, I would have been dead in the water without working through all the practices/exercises in the book.

I second the recommendation for CBT Nuggets. I used them for A+ & for Network+ and they were great. The "teachers" were able to explain things in both technical & non-technical terms, and I highly recommend going with CBT Nuggets or other videos for those who need an intro or review.

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh ya, forgot about the 620. Ok, 270 is the second easiest exam! And I also forgot about the MCDST. So maybe not 2nd easiest either.

So let me rephrase, 70-270 is "one" of the easiest MS exams! Bet you can't catch me on that one!

Merry Christmas!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Susuandme, I don't think you should abandon 270 since you've put so much time into it, but you may want to consider complimenting that with the MCDST next. There will be a decent amount of overlap between those exams, so it shouldn't be too rough on you. I think you should really focus on getting a desktop support role and start gaining experience. It doesn't make sense for you to jump into the server stuff. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything like that, but we all have to put our time in with the basics before we can move on.

Maybe I missed this (if so, please forgive me), but would you mind sharing a little about your background and what your goals are. That information would help us with our suggestions and explanations. Also, do you know why you struggle with the wording so much? We all agree there's a lot of text, and it can be convoluted at times. I'm just curious if there's something specific that's messing you up. Is English not your native language? (I'm not trying to be rude. There's nothing wrong with your English, but we do have a decent number of non-native speakers here). Anyway, the more you can tell us about yourself, the better.

Some people just aren't good at teaching themselves (that's nothing to be ashamed of). Maybe you would do better in a classroom environment. As Royal and Skrpune suggested, check out the Nuggets if you haven't yet. James is a great instructor and might be able to explain something like permissions in a way that makes more sense than the book.
    I am a native speaker, when I refer to when I say I can't follow the question is when they are describing a question in "server language talk" I can give you some examples later.

I can't follow the question and what it is asking sometimes because of the terminology and phrases they use that are related to a server talk type language.
    i.e. connect port 2 to access shares to printer 1 connected to server 3 on segment 4, etc, etc.

The questions get much more difficult then this, I'm just giving example, but
    what you say is without doubt true. "doing" is much more than "reading about it" Hands on experience is irreplaceable in any profession. To "do" gives immediate and more retainable knowledge directly into the Brain.

The sample questions I'm doing are giving me a lot of help with the terminology
    because all the questions are "server talk" so I am getting a lot of exposure to this languge now. I passed the A+ and Network + exam, but they were
    "NOthing" compared to the 270 exam. They were straight forward questions, a,b,c or d. Not problem solving questions and questions where you have to make some assumptions, and actually have to add things from your own mind to make the question make sense. i.e. it probably was not turned on, or it probably was not conneccted therefore choice a , is the right assumption.