PASSED BOTH! - Some Advice For Others...

bwolfebwolfe Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed both the Core Hardware & OS Technologies Exams.

I had a few things I wanted to say that might help others studying for the A+ exams.

My biggest piece of advice for both exams is this:

If you don't know an answer right off the top of your head, most of the questions are designed so that you can easily determine a correct answer by applying what you know to eliminating the other possible answers. In most every case you can eliminate 1 or 2 possible choices right away.

Secondly.. if you do know an answer off the top of your head, still take the time to think about it and confirm that you are not being too hasty in your response. Some questions are kind of tricky that way.

And remember... every exam is different!

Core Hardware Exam (220-301)

Basically this exam was more straight forward. There wasn't much on the exam that you couldn't get from a good book on the subject. It all comes down to knowing your hardware stuff from memory and you don't necessarily have to be a computer tech repairing computers every day to pass the exam. In fact, if you were a computer tech, depending on the nature of the group of computers you service, I would caution against just going straight into the exam and hoping to do well based on experience alone. It is a very broad exam and if you are 'book knowledge' weak in one area, such as networking, then it will show in your final score.

OS Technologies Exam (220-302)

This exam is a different beast from the other. I found that many of the questions, maybe a quarter or third, were designed to seperate those who have 'book knowledge' from those who have actual hands on experience. I ran into many questions that tested not just your understanding of what things were or how they worked but also very detailed functionings, commands, etc. I highly recommend setting up a lab for yourself and actually testing every feature of every operating system from DOS-XP (with less attention to 3x of course).

In addition I would say that half the questions (maybe more) asked for 2 or 3 answers. Example: they might ask you to check off three different ways to access a particular program. Also, instead of asking you directly about some feature or limitation of something they tend to give you 'what if' scenarios designed to figure out if you completely understand how something works, sometimes without even giving many clues as to what it is you are being tested on. There are some tricky questions on this exam!

In my exam I hit a good 20-25 very tough (obscure) questions right away. Then the rest were a good mix of super easy questions and ones I had to think about but weren't hard to figure out. When I pressed the button to end this one I was sure I had answered at least 3/4 or more of the questions correctly. Yet I didn't actually pass by much (54icon_cool.gif. I suspect the tougher questions are weighted heavily and the easy questions weighted very very lightly.

A little backbround on my situation might help you judge your own preparedness.

I have been working with computers for over 10 years... since the days when buying a new PC game or program often meant a hardware upgrade and at the very least making up a special set of boot disks to tweak your config.sys and autoexec.bat to run the application properly.

I have two years of full time computer science studies under my belt and have done about 6 months of tech support work although most of my work involves using computers (programming etc) as opposed to troubleshooting them.

I studied a book that was published in 2001 for the 2001 objectives and updated with some XP stuff in 2002. Ideally I recommend getting a book designed for the 2003 objectives. I also only studied lightly for a few weeks before each exam and had maybe one full day of solid study for each exam. Propbably not enough, although I already had a good foundation of knowledge from my academic studies.

My exam results were 562 (220-301) & 548 (220-302).

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Congrats....great review also!!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • bwolfebwolfe Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thx Ricka182! I wanted to add this piece of advice also..

When you practice lab stuff learn how to navigate around each operating system and activate features with the keyboard as well as the mouse! Also... no feature is too obscure, for instance try copying and pasting text in a cmd window using only your mouse. There's a way to do it... but it's not a method most people are familiar with. Get to know quirky little things like that.
  • istgirlistgirl Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, I read what you said, and that is cool, but what about those of us who don't HAVE ACCESS TO other OS such as say, 2000 or the Administrative properties of XP? Everyone doesn't have access to all these different OSs, ESPECIALLY if you are an entry level person trying to gain this certification.
    Tech Support Tip #2: When the support agent says "Click...", wait for the rest of the sentence.

Hot Tip #3: Be sure to turn it on before calling technical support.
  • lsealslseals Member Posts: 240
    Congrats
    24 Hours in a day...24 Beers in a case...Coincidence?
  • moe2810moe2810 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats ... I am taking mine Wednesday, the OS, already passed the Hardware .. is there allot of Network questions? Over all did they stick to the objectives detailed on Comptia web site.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    istgirl wrote:
    Ok, I read what you said, and that is cool, but what about those of us who don't HAVE ACCESS TO other OS such as say, 2000 or the Administrative properties of XP? Everyone doesn't have access to all these different OSs, ESPECIALLY if you are an entry level person trying to gain this certification.

You don't need access to all that. I too was(and still are) entry level, and I know I took the older version of A+(2001), but it hasn't changed that much. If you study, A+ is attainable without touching a computer. YES, I know it helps to have at least one. For me, at the time, I only had part time access to one. Try your local library, or schools. They may have computer labs for the public. I also used a Career placement agency funded by the state, who helped a lot with resources galore. I'm not sure what PA has to offer, but I'm there's something out there. Good luck....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • istgirlistgirl Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I do have access to a computer with XP on it, and also, I have 98 on my home computer.
    Tech Support Tip #2: When the support agent says "Click...", wait for the rest of the sentence.

Hot Tip #3: Be sure to turn it on before calling technical support.