Options

Admin cannot set automatic updates

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I had two clients call me today to say that they are not getting automatic updates in XP (SP2). I logged on the admin account, and even that account cannot turn them on. The screen area is gray to select whether to turn these on or off. Any clues on how to fix this?

Comments

• Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Is this computer on a domain with WSUS set up? If so then group policy is more than likely preventing this.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    macdude wrote:
    Is this computer on a domain with WSUS set up? If so then group policy is more than likely preventing this.

+1
  • Options
    Nope, stand alone computers. WSUS is not used.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I've got pretty much the same questions as previous posters...are they both at the same company/office or at different locations? Stand-alone machines or domain? Have you checked to see if the automatic update service is running or has been stopped?

I did a quick google & this came up, has two different solutions you can try.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    I found a registry edit to try, so will let you know.

The two computers in question belong to same company, different offices. They are laptops that travel quite a bit to various office locations during the week. They do not belong to a domain.
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    I'd be looking at virus activity that is using the WSUS style reg keys to disable AU on the local machines. If you find that these have been set I'd recommend a full virus sweep.
  • Options
    Update issue is fixed. The NoAutoUpdate value in the registry was set to 1 vice 0. Once reset working fine. Thanks to all who offered help.