Options

Subnetting Made Easy

Comments

• Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I didn't have as many subnetting questions on my ICND1 today as I thought there would be. The ones I had as well I found very easy.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's exactly the impression I got.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    I did 2 practise exams through the networking acadamy and they had A LOT more in. Not complaining though.
    Lab:
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    The subnetting questions on the exam(s) arent really that hard.. if you're doing well on subnetting-questions then you can nail the CCNA - the random ones on the site are 10x tougher
  • Options
    drkat wrote: »
    The subnetting questions on the exam(s) arent really that hard.. if you're doing well on subnetting-questions then you can nail the CCNA - the random ones on the site are 10x tougher
    Most of mine were how many hosts can be used, we need 'x' hosts what subnet mask should we use? So easy yes. I've done ones where you have to find the network of the hosts and then the routers interface and find that network, takes a lot more time.

Does anyone else not like using the ANDing method? I feel like it would take me longer to work out the network address in binary than it would to just find what the network ID is going up in, for example 4 and then just figure it out from there..
    Lab:
  • Options
    chaddsukchaddsuk Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey

I actually made a video on youtube showing the magic number method for anyone that is struggling with this, you can find it at the following link if your interested.

Subnetting Made Easy - CCNA exam method - Magic number NEW - YouTube

I did make a subnetting video on youtube around a year or two ago thinking no one would watch it however 32,000 people watched it so I felt compelled to make another but this time without a bunch of typo's!

Hope it helps someone :)
    A+
    Network +
    CCENT
    CCNA
    Windows 2003 server MCP
    Windows XP MCP

2nd Line NOC Support Engineer (2 years)
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chaddsuk wrote: »
    Hey

I actually made a video on youtube showing the magic number method for anyone that is struggling with this, you can find it at the following link if your interested.

Subnetting Made Easy - CCNA exam method - Magic number NEW - YouTube

I did make a subnetting video on youtube around a year or two ago thinking no one would watch it however 32,000 people watched it so I felt compelled to make another but this time without a bunch of typo's!

Hope it helps someone :)

I actually just took a quick look at both of your videos. I was wondering do you suggest learning all the binary stuff and basic IP addressing stuff first? It seems like it kind of starts at a more advanced level but I could be wrong. I'm thinking if I could get the subnetting stuff down real real good I may just go ahead and take the one test route. I have taken CCNA classes in the past and have had some training on switches and routers. I really like your videos though.
  • Options
    rukisamarukisama Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for this method. Subnetting was something I understood in a kind of general way, but the knowledge of the nuts and bolts of it always seemed elusive. After using this method and practicing for about a day, though, I can solve any subnetting problem in my head in (at most) 30 seconds, and usually more like 10 seconds. I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow this is great. subbed to thread for future refrence
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chaddsuk wrote: »
    I did a quick youtube video on the subnetting technique I use for exams which I found invaluable at the time (and still continue to use it). Of course I took the time to learn the "and or" binary method first however check out the video if you feel you need to speed things up. (Hope it helps someone)

Subnetting Made Easy - CCNA exam method - Magic number - YouTube

I like this thread and this site
    Learn To Subnet:  A Free, Lecture-Based Presentation on IP Addressing and Subnetting

thanks for the thread
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Mods, could this be made a sticky please?
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree, making it sticky would help a lot of folks and also avoid all the other subnetting questions all over the place. You can ask every subnet question here.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    JustFred wrote: »
    I agree, making it sticky would help a lot of folks and also avoid all the other subnetting questions all over the place. You can ask every subnet question here.
    This man knows icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I have to admit subnetting has been kinda funny to revisit now that I plan to sit a test. I like so many others just use a calculator in the real world but having gone through this in school years ago I remembered the basics of subnetting on paper and i'm trying to figure which way is easiest for me to get through the exam.

For me right now I have to write it out on paper to get the answers most of the time
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    All, I found this subnet calculator years ago to help with some sys admin work I was doing (since I wasn't interested then in being a network guy), and it is one of the best I've seen:

Network Calculators

You can calculate what you need, and then hit the explain button to break down the why, and it goes in-depth with the explanation.

Wow, very cool calc..thanks. I've used this one for years

Online IP CIDR / VLSM Supernet Calculator

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, very cool calc..thanks. I've used this one for years

Online IP CIDR / VLSM Supernet Calculator
    I believe that using a calculator for subnetting practice to be a bit redundant. You need to be able to figure it out in your head easily without using a calculator for the exams. In the real world, this might be useful. But if you learn subnetting and actually understand it, then you won't ever need a calculator.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    But if you learn subnetting and actually understand it, then you won't ever need a calculator.
    Needing to use a calculator would've blocked me from obtaining my current job. Before relying on them, I would consider whether networking is one of your core skills, or it's just something you want to know a little bit about in support of your other skills.

(Similarly, while the argument has been made before we do not need to know basic multiplication and addition given calculators, your career growth may be challenged if your role involves lots of mathematics and you rely on a calculator for those.)
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I believe that using a calculator for subnetting practice to be a bit redundant. You need to be able to figure it out in your head easily without using a calculator for the exams. In the real world, this might be useful. But if you learn subnetting and actually understand it, then you won't ever need a calculator.

A calculator for "practice" and for sitting the exam is not very good I agree. You can know subnetting all you want, in the real world you'll grab a calculator like everyone else.

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can know subnetting all you want, in the real world you'll grab a calculator like everyone else.
    Again, I would be ineligible for my present role if I needed to use a calculator. In the real world, there are many who have learned subnetting well enough to just know that a /24 will satisfy the need for a subnet with at least 250 IPs without having to whip out their laptop, go online, and use a subnetting calculator. I don't use such calculators.

(Similar, I do not use a calculator when I need to know what 8x8 is!)

I certainly don't deny there are many roles where that level of subnetting knowledge is not required. Some teams are expected to know less about networking. Those teams may have strengths in other areas, or they may simply be compensated less.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the real world I use my head. I use a subnet calc when I want to be really sure of something. If you don't exercise your brain, it'll go flabby.
  • Options
    SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How did Lordflasheart arrive at this final ip address 192.168.12.72? I understood all of it up until this point. Can anyone explain it to me in a simple way that is understandable?

We have borrowed from the last octet as the 29th bit is in the last octet. We start from zero and count up in our block size. Therefore it follows that the subnets are:-

.............etc

Our address is 192.168.12.78 so it must sit on the 192.168.12.72 subnet.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The address 192.168.12.72 is the subnet number for the address in question (192.168.12.7icon_cool.gif. He is showing that because the mask is a /29, the block size is 8 (3 host bits, or 2 to the 3rd power- 2 x 2 x 2), the subnets increment by 8. That subnet encompasses all addresses within the .72 to .79 range, with 72 being the subnet and 79 being the broadcast address, with 73-78 being valid hosts for the .72 subnet.

Does this help or did I misunderstand your question?
  • Options
    allaboutjoallaboutjo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would first like to say thanks for the post. The write up seems to be pretty straight forward. The only problem is, I am just getting my toes wet with subnetting and need a little guidance. A class I am taking has asked a specific question and I am having trouble deciphering it using the method.

We are using a Class C network of 204.15.5.0/24. Subnet the network in order to create five subnets. The largest subnet must support 28 host addresses. Is it possible with a class c network?

Is this the workup I should be looking at in order to complete the assignment?
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    allaboutjo wrote: »
    I would first like to say thanks for the post. The write up seems to be pretty straight forward. The only problem is, I am just getting my toes wet with subnetting and need a little guidance. A class I am taking has asked a specific question and I am having trouble deciphering it using the method.

We are using a Class C network of 204.15.5.0/24. Subnet the network in order to create five subnets. The largest subnet must support 28 host addresses. Is it possible with a class c network?

Is this the workup I should be looking at in order to complete the assignment?

Yes you can understand how to solve with this thread. I don't want to answer for you, so I need to ask you; do you understand the binary concepts related to addresses, and the borrowing of bits? That's really all you need to know, and how many hosts/networks you get from creating a new mask.

Here is a good video to help you with why we subnet, and about subnet masks.
    Subnet Masks - Part 1 - CompTIA Network+ N10-004: 1.4 - YouTube
  • Options
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    Yes you can understand how to solve with this thread. I don't want to answer for you, so I need to ask you; do you understand the binary concepts related to addresses, and the borrowing of bits? That's really all you need to know, and how many hosts/networks you get from creating a new mask.

I know from general knowledge there are 8 bits in each byte. There is a total of 256 total (counting the 0) different masks. For class A, your ip would start in the range of 1-126. Class B range of 128-191 and class C range of 192-223. Since the number I am working with falls in the class C, the default subnet is going to be 255.255.255.0. What I am having a problem with is borrowing of bits.
  • Options
    So if I am not mistaken, the answer is yes, I can create 5 subnets with the largest subnet supporting 28 host addresses. With the 255.255.255.0 subnet, when broken down to decimal, it would be 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000. After creating the new subnets on the system, the decimal breakdown would be 11111111.11111111.11111111.11100000, which would allow me 8 networks with 30 hosts per network. Therefore by creating this breakdown, I have reached the minimum of 5 subnets (actually have 8 )and still meet the companies needs with having 30 hosts per network.

Did I figure this out right? I certainly hope so.....it sounds good in my head.
  • Options
    allaboutjo wrote: »
    30 hosts per network.

Did I figure this out right? I certainly hope so.....it sounds good in my head.

Good to go. With your new subnet mask of 255.255.255.224 you get 8 total subnets, and 32 - 2 hosts , 30. And you have it, remember, as long as you meet the minimum requirements, it doesn't matter if you have some IP's left over. Whenever you get asked for X amount of hosts per subnet, it just means " No less than X amount of hosts per subnet ".
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    What about an address like this?

172.16.0.0 /24

i did it like this

32-24=8 then 2^8=256

cant count 256 so would I just start from 0?
  • Options
    jsb515 wrote: »
    What about an address like this?

172.16.0.0 /24

i did it like this

32-24=8 then 2^8=256

cant count 256 so would I just start from 0?

I'm not sure I get what you're asking. But I think what you mean is; if I have a /24 mask, that means I only have 8 host bits to work with? Yes start from zero, the zero network IS your network address and first subnet ID.

Just remember the diference between total addresses 256 in this case, and usable addresses 254 in this case per subnet.
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    thanks for the response, :)

next question, is there a trick or simplistic way to get to subnets that are higher in count? instead of listing them all out?