Options

cisco switch

rotinhell2568rotinhell2568 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
i'm studying for the ccna exam and i have gotten half way through the icnd1 book and i'm starting on the chapter where they show you how to setup and configure a cisco switch. I would really like to be a cisco a switch so i can go along and do each step but in the book they show the 2960 which is way to expensive. Is there any other switch i could buy that would use the same commands. Could i use a 2950. Do i need to have 24 ports or is twelve enough?
could i use this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-2950-Series-Switch-WS-2950-12_W0QQitemZ330296878506QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Hubs?hash=item330296878506&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 2950 switch is fine. 12 ports are fine. If that price doesn't get bid up, it's fine.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    so the 24 ports arn't necessary for my level yet?
  • Options
    also is 40 bucks the max i should pay for this switch? I have no clue about the pricings?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    so the 24 ports arn't necessary for my level yet?
    All it does is let you plug more things in. It isn't important.
  • Options
    do you guys know where i can get a console cable? Also my computer doesn't have a serial port, how am i supposed to hook up the switch to my computer?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    All it does is let you plug more things in. It isn't important.

Not important at all, although the new guys might be thinking that you'd need more ports if you expand your lab. But if you expand your lab, you'll need another switch to do trunking, VTP, STP, etc. With each switch comes more ports. So don't worry, you'll never run out.

:)
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    do you guys know where i can get a console cable?

eBay, try and get one included with equipment you buy, or build your own.
    Also my computer doesn't have a serial port, how am i supposed to hook up the switch to my computer?

USB to Serial adapter, like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156003
  • Options
    People have been able to get the 2950-24 for under $100 (and I've seen a few go in the 70s) -- so use that as your guide. I probably wouldn't bid more the $50-$70 range for a 2950-12.
    Netwurk wrote: »
    But if you expand your lab, you'll need another switch to do trunking, VTP, STP, etc.
    +1

3 12-port switches are better for learning than 1 48-port switch.

Try to get a couple 2950 switches (12 or 24 port), and you're 3rd switch can be a cheaper (but still useful) WS-C2924-XL-EN
  • Options
    I paid $50 each for my two 2950-24s and probably wouldn't go more than $60 on any 2950 with a standard image.

Here's a Buy It Now for a 2950-12 that doesn't seem too bad: http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-WS-C2950-12-Catalyst-Switch-10-100-Base-TX_W0QQitemZ370130383920QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Hubs?hash=item370130383920
  • Options
    thanks for the help guys. I'm still new to all of this stuff.
  • Options
    also will i need to buy anything else?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    also will i need to buy anything else?

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to do some spanning-tree labs then three switches, a console cable, ethernet cables and a PC will be all you need.

If you plan on working on routing labs (which you will need to do if you want to get your CCNA) then you will need some routers.

Check the CCNA FAQ at the top of the forum for more information on equipment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the faq isn't working right now. i'm thinking about getting 2 x 2610 routers. Do i need tranceivers for those. I know if i get the 2610 router i will need to get the wic-1t module but how many do i need per router. Is it one per router or two per router?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    FAQ is working fine for me....

You can start here for information on the 2600 routers.

Learning about the equipment is part of becoming proficient in Cisco technologies.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the faq isn't working right now.
    The CCNA FAQ is one of the sticky posts at the top of the CCNA/CCENT forum.
  • Options
    2610s don't need a transceiver. If you're just going to be getting the two 2610s then one WIC-1T per router should be fine. If you plan on getting more routers in the future you may want for interfaces to connect those to.
  • Options
    what is the minimum ios that it should have? What is the minimum memory it should have?
  • Options
    Here's a couple of Home Lab router threads -- one current and one older -- but they both should help you see and understand the thought process (and learning process) that everyone goes through when they first start out.

questions about different routers for home lab

Home Lab
  • Options
    do switches need a certian ios
  • Options
  • Options
    The nice thing about the 2950 switches -- almost any IOS they had should work for the CCNA. And the memory isn't upgradable, so you don't have to worry about that.

The older 2900 switches have lots of different IOS versions and memory options -- that's why I recommended just that one particular model -- WS-C2924-XL-EN -- the 2924 XL with Enterprise software. The non-enterprise version may not have enough memory to upgrade to the last IOS version -- and the memory isn't upgradable.

You need a smartnet contract to download/upgrade Router IOS images, but the switch (and wireless access point) software has been downloadable in the past with just a guest level Cisco Website login. I haven't tried it lately, but the switch IOS download instructions are in this thread
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ugh.. far too much competition on me finding another cheap 12 port 2950!

If you bid it up I shall be forced to thrash you most viciously! :D

There's a place (cascade-assets) that's been listing groups of 2950's on ebay that is just down the road from me, we use them for our recycling. I've been trying to see if they will cut me a deal on a couple since we are such good customers of theirs and since they were actually paid to take in the hardware they are selling...
  • Options
    i just purchased a cisco 2950 12 port for 63 bucks including shipping except the only problem is it doesn't come with a power cable. Where can i get one? Can i use a standard power cable like the one for your computer monitor?
  • Options
    Yep, routers and switches generally use the standard plugs like on computers and monitors.
  • Options
    Yep, standard Computer/Monitor power cable. In an emergency you can get one at Radio Shack.

Building my lab ate through my surplus of power cables from all the power supply replacements/upgrades I had done over the years so I finally just bought a bulk pack on eBay. That worked out to under a $1 a cable, including the shipping.
  • Options
    kalebksp i got the switch from your link. i appreciate it very much. Now all i have to do is wait for it to arrive.
  • Options
    kalebksp i got the switch from your link. i appreciate it very much. Now all i have to do is wait for it to arrive.

No problem, waiting is the hardest part isn't it? I'm waiting on my 871W to arrive, it's in my town but I think FedEx is going wait till Wednesday to deliver it, driving me crazy!

$13 for shipping huh? Man I envy you, I don't think I've bought a single piece of equipment that was less than $40, damn non-continental United States state.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what is the minimum ios that it should have? What is the minimum memory it should have?

This was shown to me as well, such a great guide for IOS as well memory requirements, keep it handy.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp
  • Options
    i'm going to buy a 2501 router and i want to know what is the minimum ios i need to do basic stuff for ccna. The FAQ is too old and i would like a more up to date answer