Virus / Malware problem

2»

Comments

• jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I reimaged my machine. I'm glad I kept all my old software. Finding it all was fun as it was scattered in different rooms throughout the house. next time someone ones to use my computer I'll just tell them it's broken or my internet was turned off.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    jbrown414 wrote: »
    I reimaged my machine. I'm glad I kept all my old software. Finding it all was fun as it was scattered in different rooms throughout the house. next time someone ones to use my computer I'll just tell them it's broken or my internet was turned off.

amen brother!!! Actually I let no one use my computer... EVER... Not even the wife. I bought a nice laptop to keep her happy.

And I am kind of embarrassed because I am an ex security professional... So getting a virus like this is pretty silly on my behalf. But I am not to proud to say that it is not impossible. I run multilple agents to check things on my system. I have VERY robust firewalls and physical security. But what can I say, poop happens....
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    liven wrote: »
    I run multilple agents to check things on my system. I have VERY robust firewalls and physical security. But what can I say, poop happens....
    Such controls a rarely effective when the user actually invites "the poop" on to the computer. ;)
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Such controls a rarely effective when the user actually invites "the poop" on to the computer. ;)

Excellent point. Realizing that many of the folks on this website visit many forums and probably read a lot of PDFs I thought it would be wise to speak about this virus (and how it got onto my machine).

It has only happend a few times in my 10 years as an IT professional, getting infected by a comp virus. The two other times I can remember it happening I used to get so down on myself. Then I realized, the only truly safe computer is one encased in a few tons of concrete burried 50 feet in the ground.... (actually a 20 year veteran of IT, security, electronics told me this).... I quit blaming myself. Sure if I had download a rogue file, or visited a questionable site, I would blame myself. But since that didn't happen.... I got concerned.
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    liven wrote: »
    Then I realized, the only truly safe computer is one encased in a few tons of concrete burried 50 feet in the ground....

I think the only truly safe computer is one not hooked up to the internet. I think I read that in a book or magazine.
    jbrown414 wrote: »
    I think the only truly safe computer is one not hooked up to the internet. I think I read that in a book or magazine.

Ya I was just being stupid. It happens from time to time!