creepy stuff

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=11353479&ch=4226713&src=news - This thing creeped me out lol, while taking a study break...

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was doing ok until the birthday party. A shiver went down my spine at that point...
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I've seen stories on this before...if you're going to do it as a collection or a hobby (some women purchase the parts and then make their own dolls) then I can say that I think it's totally fine, but birthday parties? Nurseries?? Taking them out to the park & restaurants, etc.???? I'm sorry, that's just too much. I don't care if you can't have kids of your own or if you just "long" for another shot at playing with babies - if you're a grown woman, then you are TOO OLD to be playing with dollies like that.

It's like the difference between going to Star Trek conventions dressed up as a character and living as/always being "in character"...the first is a little kooky but perfectly sane, the second not so much...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't access it while at work, but based on the responses it sounds like something similar to the lonely japanese men who carry around blown-up anime girls to restaurants and movies.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    dynamik wrote: »
    I was doing ok until the birthday party. A shiver went down my spine at that point...

Wow cant believe there are people like this! :O A group of women singing Happy Birthday to a doll!! urm..
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wow

I don't really know of a polite way to say this, but...

I think we now have proof that, although rare, there are some women with whom no man on this planet will have ***.

I thought it was funny when the first woman was asked "why not adopt", and her response was basically "it's too expensive". A better response would have been something along the lines of how they don't let insane people adopt children....

MS
    eMeS wrote: »
    I thought it was funny when the first woman was asked "why not adopt", and her response was basically "it's too expensive". A better response would have been something along the lines of how they don't let insane people adopt children....
    icon_lol.gif I think you hit the nail on the head. There are pre-qualifications for being an adoptive parent, but not for buying a dollie...

• jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I've heard of mentally handicapped women carrying dolls but this is crazy.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's just some Effed up people in this world, the birthday celebration was scary so scary a shiver went up my spine those poor real kids lol...
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First thing after watching that vid is make me think of the Adam Sandler flicks when people randomly yell out the word "FREAK!!!" in the background.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's just crazy, I can understand wanting to have a child and I'm very grateful that my wife and I have our son, but that's a bit excessive. How come some of these people don't consider adoption, sure it can get expensive but you can do some good for a child and get the real deal.
    I had the unfortunate experience of watching the expanded report on this tonight on 20/20. I don't usually watch that drivel, as John Stossel often makes me want to stab myself in the eyes/ears, but I saw the show description and was curious what other insanity might be shown in the full length report. It was basically just the original morning show report, just longer with slightly extended descriptions of the creepiness that is "reborns." These women are basically using these dolls as pawns for socialization and as comfort blankets. Ugh.

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm sure some people think we are crazy for what we do. To each their own....

In the words of Ben Harper:

Your choice is who you chose to be;
    and if your causing no harm, then your alright with me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm surprised no one is looking at the bigger issue:

Can I use one of these reborns to pick up chicks?
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one is looking at the bigger issue:

Can I use one of these reborns to pick up chicks?
    Not this chick! icon_lol.gif

I know you're kidding but here's my take:
    Grown women playing with dolls = creepy.
    Grown men playing with dolls to attract the ladies who like to play with dolls = whole other level of creepy. icon_eek.gif

...and although I can see networker050184's point about "to each their own," there are just some things that I'm not quite sure fall within the confines of normal human behavior from a psychological health aspect. Playing and collecting and role play can be fine and dandy, but this goes way beyond that and doesn't seem too healthy.

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I watched the original airing of this story and all of the ladies on there were well aware that these were dolls and not real. Its not like they think they are real people or anything. They all seemed mentally stable and just happened to take their love of dolls farther then most people would consider "normal." Now if they were hurting someone or causing harm it would be a different story, but they are not. Some people just have different interests then others.

Whats wrong with playing with toys when you are grown up anyway? I'm 24 and play with my Cisco toys everyday.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I dunno, it was at least a bit strange when that woman said she was disappointed when she took her doll to the park and no one "noticed" or commented on it/her. It was also a bit sad to see the woman who made "reborns" keep one because of the physical "resemblance" it had to what she thought her miscarried kids would have looked like. Not sure if that's entirely healthy, but I'm not exactly a psychologist so that's just my totally unqualified opinion.

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    skrpune wrote: »
    Not this chick! icon_lol.gif

I know you're kidding but here's my take:
    Grown women playing with dolls = creepy.
    Grown men playing with dolls to attract the ladies who like to play with dolls = whole other level of creepy. icon_eek.gif

Hey atleast there wasnt any mention of dressing as dolls!!

Its a bit odd but then im sure we have seen worse.

If they arnt hurting anyone I guess they should be left to it, Just dont send me a Birthday Invite
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    OMG!! whats my mother doing in that video with my baby brother

ha ha