Options

Next Cert?

procmanprocman Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey all im about 80% done with my A+ and im wondering what should be next for me. My interests include maintnance, installation, and designing systems. I also am learning to use Linux (Ubuntu). I am not really interested in networking so my ccna books are collecting dust. what would be a good next step for me?
K-Meleon 1.5.1
Compaq Presario 723RS

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    If you like Linux, then how about Linux+ or LPIC 1/2/3?

What kind of systems do you want to maintain/install/design? Hardware aspect or software aspect? Server or workstations?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    up until now iv only built systems for my self and friends. ive played around with programming a little bit. at first id like to do basic tech support like geek squad stuff and the move up to a more complex area.
    K-Meleon 1.5.1
    Compaq Presario 723RS
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The network+ cert is good to have, even if you aren't heading into that direction. If you like installation and maintaining, then the MCDST would be a good route as XP isn't going away anytime soon.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    On my third beer here, so I'll keep this quick.

Networking never goes away, and Cisco teaches it better than anyone else I have seen. That being said, snag yourself either a Geek Squad or help desk job.

A+ and MCDST and CCENT should be on your list, then later round it off with Linux+ or LPIC1.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    On my third beer here, so I'll keep this quick.

Networking never goes away, and Cisco teaches it better than anyone else I have seen. That being said, snag yourself either a Geek Squad or help desk job.

A+ and MCDST and CCENT should be on your list, then later round it off with Linux+ or LPIC1.

I agree, networking isn't going away and so some networking certs would be helpful. Might be useful to pickup a network+ or a CCNA.

And yes, as much as I hate to admit it, I to think that cisco teaches networking the best. They'll take you through the beginner level stuff much more throughly then anybody else.

I would recommend reading some Juniper books if you already had some basic networking skills, since they skip the basics and go straight into the more challenging stuff.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You won't be able to support well, other than call-center type of stuff, without a basic understanding of networking. Maybe you don't need CCNA-level knowledge, but you need something.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Ive read through ICND1 and part of ICND2. I hate to ask for the easy route but for right now i cant handle Cisco Material, so would Network+ be acceptable?
    K-Meleon 1.5.1
    Compaq Presario 723RS
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Even if you plan to not do something Network related I still suggest getting the Network+... I am currently studying for it (very lite) and I plan to be a programmer.

MCDST is the correct choice. I hear the Windows XP exam is harder then most think but I would give it a whirl after the A+.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA