Options

Remote Shutdown and Restart Software

fommyfommy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am looking into the best software to automatically shutdown and startup pc's at remote sites.

Has anyone got any good recommendations? I have downloaded a few but none seem that good.

Cheers,

Matt
MCITP Enterprise Admin then CCNA - as I failed CCNA twice now. boohoo

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    batch file
    shutdown -r -f -t 15

will that work?
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Start > Run > shutdown -i
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Or my favorite.

shutdown /m \\computername /f /r /t 00

You can run that from your machine as long as both are on the network. Or you can use it to restart your coworker's computers, which is fun.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It doesn't get easier than shutdown -i, if you need a gui. I'd bet that most of the apps you downloaded probably do exactly the same thing, or actually USE shutdown.exe to shut down the computers.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Shutdown is easy with shutdown.exe at the command line. You can even script it so that you can restart multiple PCs with one cmd script.

Startup is more work, and your PC NICs will have to support Wake-On-Lan (even if its supported it may be disabled in the BIOS). An easy and free product that will both shut down and remotely start PCs is GPUpdate from SpecOps Software (http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/). This adds extensions to ADUC that allow you to perform additional administrative functions by right-clicking the object or objects.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    To more easily do this with multiple computers, you can also check out PSShutdown from the excellent and free PSTools.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897541.aspx

Use @listfile.txt to shutdown a group of computers in a listfile. Pretty useful.

Of course, you could always do this in PowerShell...

$servers = get-content listfile.txt
    $servers | foreach-object {shutdown /m \\'$_' -f}

(Haven't tried that specifically,but it should be something like that).
    Good luck to all!