Options

Schooling ; What do I need to do ?

jerrjerr Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all! I am currently fresh out of high school; well a year ago.

I am looking into networking as a career field. I am decent with computers; and I know the general about networking and basics.

I am looking into getting my CCNA, but I had a few questions.

First; I am going for a AAS in my community college to help train me on Cisco, what other studying should I do? What helped you pass it?

Also, besides CCNA, what are some other good cert's I should try to get before and after? A+, Network+?

Thanks for all the help; my journey is now beginning!

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Welcome and good luck!

A+ and Network+ are good certs to start. Vendor neutral and no re-certify.

As for studying for CCNA, I have the Cisco Press books by Odom. Most people will tell you to have a few different sources. I would think if you get hands on through college then you don't need to purchase a home lab. But then again, if you can afford it, it could help you down the road in obtaining higher certs.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Cisco certs are always nice to have but i personally think you A+ and Net+ would help you much more. Even with a degree your most likely going to start in helpdesk which would not require a CCNA.

I have friends that did not listen to my opinion and now cant get a job. They decided to get their CCNA as their first and cant get a job related to it. Your entry leve certs would help you much more getting into the field. Not sure what you current background it currently.

Start with the A+ and Net+ then move to your CCENT/CCNA.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    jerrjerr Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies!

Besides A+ and Network+, what are some other good ones which I dont have to re cert for?

Thanks!!