What Server Chassis fits Skeletek 16U Racks!!

ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
So i am a little confused on a topic here. I currently own a Skeletek Rack that says its a 16U rack. I have decided to add two server chassis to the rack instead of a standard desktop sitting next to it. They are just cluttering my workspace so i prefer to move them into a server chassis that would fit the rack instead. So when i look at sites like newegg.com under server chassis they only list the following.

1U
2U
3U
4U
5U

So because of this i am not sure which one would fit the rack. I would assume its a 2U but not even sure on that. Can anyone help me out on this one.
CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
Cisco CCENT In Progress
MCP Server 291 In Progress
C|EH In Progress

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    16U means that you have 16Us available, ie you could put 16 1U devices, 8 2U devices, etc in to the rack. Any of those would fit provided the rack isn't full of other equipment. Usually you need to have front and back posts on your rack for servers, because they're long and heavy. Many of the Skeletek racks only have front posts, I think the C series allows for optional rear posts.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As mentioned, you have 16U of space available. Unless you have one of the newer Skeletek's that has the option for the rear posts, you would likely want to avoid longer chassis. Generally, as far as cases go that you could build your own gear into, you are probably limited to 2U and up that will work well for you. If you do not have rear posts, there are various 4U cases built that are fairly short in terms of a server case, that wouldn't strain the rack as much, but it all depends on how much each server ends up weighing.

It's going to be easier to tip with a server installed if it's the two post model, so keep that in mind. Another option you could go with (the route I took) is to get two shelves. Since the skeletek's have mounting holes on the front and rear sides of the post, you can mount a shelf facing out towards the front and a shelf facing out towards the back. I went with a couple shelves that are ~12 inches deep, effectively giving me a 24" platform which I can put a couple slimline desktop cases that I built my lab VM servers into and because of the shelf layout, the weight is mostly evenly distributed between the front and back of the rack.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Thanks for the fast reply. I actually had no idea and was a little lost. Yeah i still got room on there. Only have two switches and two routers with a power strip and a patch panel. I just bought my rack in 2008 from dantek.
    Appreciate the fast reply.

Got any reccomendations for a rackmount UPS?
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Consider a set of brackets: http://www.dantraknet.com/category/21/page/2

I have two 1U servers in mine using those.