Options

Article: Annual raises fall short, leaving IT pros to grin and bear it

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,041 Admin
NetworkWorld Magazine, Jan 5, 2009, has an article on the IT hiring and salary outlook for 2009. There's lots of good information broken down into IT specializations and geographical areas (in the USA) to set your expectations by.

If you can't get a hold of a hard copy of this issue, much of the article's information (and more) is online:

IT salary survey: pay overview

2009 IT hiring outlook

2009 salary map

Network World Salary Survey

Comments

• Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been in systems development since 1973. IT people are horrendously over paid, even back in the 80s and early 90s. The bubbe started getting even more out of hand in the mid 90s through today. The party is over.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been in systems development since 1973. IT people are horrendously over paid, even back in the 80s and early 90s. The bubbe started getting even more out of hand in the mid 90s through today. The party is over.

I think you forgot to add this at the end : icon_wink.gif

Very few professions require the amount of ongoing training we need in order to stay competitive, or have their core materials change so rapidly. Also to be actually good at the job you have to be very smart and talented (I know this is not Unique to IT but for the salaries you will have to put up with during your time in the trenches there are easier ways to make that money with those talents), there are plenty of folks who have gotten ahead minus these attributes and yup they are overpaid, but I wouldn't call them IT professionals, just chancers who happened to know how to plug in a mouse.

Edit: Oh and thanks for the links JD :) . Nice that the rollover map has Security as a hot skill for pretty much them all .... (crosses fingers)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    I think you forgot to add this at the end : icon_wink.gif

Very few professions require the amount of ongoing training we need in order to stay competitive, or have their core materials change so rapidly. Also to be actually good at the job you have to be very smart and talented (I know this is not Unique to IT but for the salaries you will have to put up with during your time in the trenches there are easier ways to make that money with those talents), there are plenty of folks who have gotten ahead minus these attributes and yup they are overpaid, but I wouldn't call them IT professionals, just chancers who happened to know how to plug in a mouse.

I agree with this. I have invested a very large amount of my time outside of work either performing work for my job that I am unable to do during business hours. I have also invested heavily outside of work training both for technology we will be using at work as well as training to advance my career. I think many of us in IT who earn large salaries do a LOT of work to earn those salaries and make many sacrifices, there are some out there who just got lucky and don't have to work as hard for their salary, but I suspect eventually as things evolve they are going to become obsolete and will be forced to educate themselves and/or take a lower paying job.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Horrendously over paid? I wish......

At least I make more than the Salary Survey says I should icon_cheers.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm fortunate to work in security. We have raise reviews next week so hopefully things go well. You can definitely tell that even IT is affected by the economy. Security is especially valuable in this type of economy because when jobs get lost crime rates go up.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll be happy to keep a job in 2009 - I was called into a meeting today with the rest of the team and basically we've all been put at risk of redundancy. Rubbbiiiiisshhhh. Hopefully I'll not be the one out of the four who has to go - but I'll be happy to keep on the same salary this year and just keep learning/studying hard.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Horrendously over paid? I wish......

At least I make more than the Salary Survey says I should icon_cheers.gif

Same here, it said $30K, I'm making $36K icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's depressing. Thanks for the link Networker ;)

Interestingly, going back and changing between HS and bachelor's had no effect.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Interesting on the slides there it puts certifications at the bottom of Which hiring criteria get the most attention.

I think all those people who come on here and complain about their MCSE not getting them their dream job should have taken a look at this.

img_hiring-4.jpg
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Interesting on the slides there it puts certifications at the bottom of Which hiring criteria get the most attention.

I think all those people who come on here and complain about their MCSE not getting them their dream job should have taken a look at this.

img_hiring-4.jpg

I can attest to this since I've been on the job hunt lately. I've found that the vast majority of my interviews focus more on some of the large projects I have listed on my resume that I have deployed over the years. The other big area of focus is related to questions about classes I have taken during my studies, what I've found helpful that I've been able to apply to my job, etc.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□

I couldn't agree more. I find it amazing that people with little or no experience but with an MCSE (etc) expect to earn high wages right from the word go.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940

img_hiring-4.jpg

The list looks good except for education. I just know too many people who have less formal education than I do, same location, very similar experience, etc., but they lack what I have for formal education, and they're doing just as well as I am. I'd put certifications probably just ahead of education, but it's certainly not three spots back from it.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Wow, I'm apparently supposed to be making roundabout $70,000 per year. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    The list looks good except for education. I just know too many people who have less formal education than I do, same location, very similar experience, etc., but they lack what I have for formal education, and they're doing just as well as I am. I'd put certifications probably just ahead of education, but it's certainly not three spots back from it.

I'd have to agree with this. Rumor has it formal education plays a bigger role in management positions but personally I have never seen it hold anyone back.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    ..... Also to be actually good at the job you have to be very smart and talented....

+1

But the problem we have a lot non talented idiots who can still **** their way and manage to fool "stupid" management and get higher salaries !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,041 Admin
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    But the problem we have a lot non talented idiots who can still **** their way and manage to fool "stupid" management and get higher salaries !
    Yes, but those cheating, non-talented idiots often move up into stupid management and make way for other talented smart guys. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bertieb wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. I find it amazing that people with little or no experience but with an MCSE (etc) expect to earn high wages right from the word go.

This is starting to get worse again too with all the layoffs and stuff across multiple industries. I'm hearing a lot more of the "change careers and become a highly paid IT professional in just 6 months and get the lifestyle you deserve" crap commercials on the radio over the past month or so.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...