Cisco WAP issue

Bob_the_GoonBob_the_Goon Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello my fellow techie friends,

I've came across a problem at work which at the moment has me completely beaten (I won't give up though), and was wondering if I could tap into the huge depth of knowledge we have on the forum in order to shed some light on the issue.

Basically a site that I support is using laptops connecting to several Cisco 1200 WAPs located at various parts of the building. However, it appears you can only connect 8 laptops to each WAP and the ninth, tenth laptop will drop it's connection. You can boot 16 laptops up and log them onto the domain, but after a short period of time 8 of them will drop their connection and 8 will remain connected.

Has anyone seen this type of thing before?

The laptops affected varies and there doesn't seem to be any consistency on which of the laptops will fail. We've removed the WAP configs and started fresh configs but the problem persists.

I know that I've left a lot of details out of this post, mainly to keep it as short as possible, but I'm just trying to get some pointers at what to look for and to see if someone has came across a similar issue in the past.

Thanks in advance.

I'll shut up now... for now at least.

Bob

Comments

• motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    We use the 1200's as well, either as standalones or managed by a 2100. I will look at the configs menu's to see what it may be, but it seems like it is a settings for max concurrent connections. Do you use them as standalones handing out DHCP or are you using them with the controller? Can you provide a little more info on how they are set up, topology?

FYI....We have noticed that these units can be flakey at times, 1 will be replaced this week and it's only a few months old, POE issues. Seems to be dropping all the time and our CISCO rep also said that the 2100 is real finicky too. The 2100 doesn't like to be near any kind of EMI/RFI. We had one 2100 placed right under our 4800 series and the power supplies emit enough that the 2100 went nuts, dropping all the time, although the cycling lights on the 1200's are pretty groovey. I moved it to an adjacent rack (approx: 6 incehes away) and voila, it's been running like a champ other than the one faulty unit.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Bob_the_GoonBob_the_Goon Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply motogpman.

We are using a Windows 2000 Server for DHCP and DNS. The WAPs are just relaying DHCP requests.

The four 1200s are ceiling mounted, use POE and connect to a 3com switch. I think we'll take them down from the ceiling and see what happens then. Like you say the wiring in the ceiling may be causing the issues.

Has anyone any other areas to look at? Your help is VERY much appreciated.

Bob