Options

SNAF material?

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Hey hey, first post in this forum.

I'm eager to start down the 642-524 path, but noted that no one's laid out any study material for this one.

Ciscopress only seems to have the SNAF Quick Reference ( https://ciscobookstore.informit.com/bookstore/index.asp?n=236bbe3b-8bdf-41c8-8094-3d054173dc26&sorttype=3&dir=1&page=1 ), but no Study Guides or Cert Guides.

Anyone got any hidden gems they'd like to share?
Thanks,
mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A lot of the old PIX/ASA resources should still be good. Use the exam blueprint and the Quick Reference Sheets as a guide to picking the most relevant resources and current Cisco Docs to read.

Comparing the new exam blueprint with the old PIX/ASA exam blueprints should also give you an idea of any changes (other than just stressing the ASA now) you'd need to be aware of while using the older resources. For anything you can identify as "New" or "more important" hit up the Cisco Online Documentation.

If you know someone who is going/has gone through the official course, buy them lots of beer, become their best friend, and borrow their official course student guide.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Cisco ASA All-in-One Handbook should cover most of what you need too.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do not underestimate this exam (I know it says fundamentals). It is heavily biased to the new 8.0 features and you need to know them well.

And if you're a CLI junkie the fact that the courseware is entirely based on the ASDM will break your heart.

The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Wow. I did not know that, very odd for Cisco to go pure GUI. Well in that case check out Securing Your Business with Cisco ASA and PIX Firewalls (Abelar, ISBN# 1587052148 ) , it's all ASDM
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I am a CLI fan, though I have to say, for the first time, I like the ASDM. A serious improvement over the pix pdm.

I snagged the ASA, PIX and FWSM Handbook (2nd Ed) by Hucaby, though I'll certainly add your suggestion to the mix, Ahriakin.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    At the end of the day use what works. I think it is essential to understand the CLI because configuration is more granular you need (and gain) a much better understanding of the technologies you are configuring. Also SSH is a more common client and you may not have access to a java enabled PC at the time you need it. BUT a lot of the more complex tasks can be performed faster and with less chance of error from the ASDM, and some new features can only be configured from it (for some bizarre reason). I tend to use both, CLI for the majority of work but ASDM for anything heavily policy related.