Options

Taking The Core Exam in 12 days

istgirlistgirl Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have a few questions to ask. I am about to take the A+ Core Exam in 12 days. As I've been rereading the materials and studying for this, these questions have come to mind:

--How can you tell which keyboard the computer can use? Where can you find out whether your computer can accept a capacitive keyboard, or the other kinds of keyboards, such as a wireless one?

--In studying the different network connections, how do you connect the computer nodes to an FDDI or Fiber Optic network? On the www.techexams.net "Basic Networking" TechNotes, I see that the Fiber Optic cabling is connected using SC, ST, or MIC connectors and I see what the connectors look like. What connectors on the individual computers connect up to these SC, ST or MIC connectors? Also, when cabling the Coaxial network, isn't the BNC Connector on the ethernet adapter the connection in which you connect the coax cable too? I know this may seem like a silly question, but I just want to make sure I am correct on this.

--Am I supposed to know all the PIO and Ultra UDMA Modes for the exam?

Any help on these anyone? I do appreciate it. icon_rolleyes.gif
Tech Support Tip #2: When the support agent says "Click...", wait for the rest of the sentence.

Hot Tip #3: Be sure to turn it on before calling technical support.

Comments

• Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    istgirl wrote:
    --How can you tell which keyboard the computer can use? Where can you find out whether your computer can accept a capacitive keyboard, or the other kinds of keyboards, such as a wireless one?

I'm not too farmilar with capactive keyboards, but any computer should be able to use them. The same goes for wireless keyboards. Most wireless keyboard/mouses have a receiving station that plugs into the PS/2 ports on the computer. The keyboard sends the signals wirelessly to the receiving station, and as far as the computer knows...it's a plain old keyboard.

All that really matters for keyboard compatibility is the connector, and there are really only 2 types of keyboard connectors. The old AT-style motherboards used an AT connector, which was a large DIN port. The newer motherboards use the standard mini-din PS2 port. You can even get a DIN-to-MiniDIN converter if you're trying to use a new keyboard with an older computer.

Of course, there's also USB keyboards. And as long as your OS supports USB, you can use them as well.
  • Options
    istgirlistgirl Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, thanks for the info on the keyboards. :)
    Tech Support Tip #2: When the support agent says "Click...", wait for the rest of the sentence.

Hot Tip #3: Be sure to turn it on before calling technical support.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    istgirl wrote:
    --In studying the different network connections, how do you connect the computer nodes to an FDDI or Fiber Optic network? On the www.techexams.net "Basic Networking" TechNotes, I see that the Fiber Optic cabling is connected using SC, ST, or MIC connectors and I see what the connectors look like. What connectors on the individual computers connect up to these SC, ST or MIC connectors? Also, when cabling the Coaxial network, isn't the BNC Connector on the ethernet adapter the connection in which you connect the coax cable too? I know this may seem like a silly question, but I just want to make sure I am correct on this.
    :

Usualy when connecting fiber to a board (in my experience) it was conncted to a 64bit NIC by SC and ran to the switch (GBIC) ports which hold them in place for you..Or the fiber jumps from Switch to Switch....
    BNC connector..yea your right about that...British Naval Connector...Or T connector.
  • Options
    crc32crc32 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    istgirl wrote:
    Ok, thanks for the info on the keyboards. :)

For the keyboards just remember 5pin DINS are the older sockets for keyboards on older boards. the 6 pin DIN ars the smaller newer cooler connectors for newer boards.

Also note that there seems to be a push for USB keyboards in the market now too.

You are correct BNC is used for coaxil cable while RJ-45 is used for UTP or even STP cables. All may be used for ethernets but no one with any sanity would use the older coaxil cables when
    installing a network these days.

Just remember ethernet is more of a link level protocal and not reffering to specific cabling.
    Guess I picked the wrong time to graduate. :|
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Usually a keyboard connector is purple and the mouse connector is green.

Also a 6 pin mini din connector is also called a ps2 connector!

good luck