Windows 7 beta available 1/9/09

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
FYI:
"On Friday we will make the beta available worldwide so users can come online and try Windows 7 at home. I encourage you all to go out and download it."

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/afp/20090108/tc_afp/usitinternetconsumerelectronicscesmicrosoft_newsmlmmd
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WGU PROGRESS

• excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Downloading now :)

Unable to get the key's though for some reason. Will try from home.

..Now to find a fool... opps, a machine to install it onto. Wooo
    Mooooo
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Unable to get the key's though for some reason.

Me too, I wonder what's up with that?
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Me too, I wonder what's up with that?

They said the release is tomorrow so that is probably when keys will be available.
    WGU PROGRESS

Those with TechNet subscriptions can get it now, but apparently not the keys.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You don't need a key to install it, just like Vista.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes, I cant wait try it out.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for the 70-622 after passing the 70-620 so I'll be ripping Windows 7 up and down, join a test domain, GP's applied, the lot. Am I sad? Possibly... just like new things.

As I mentioned above... If only I had a 4Gb machine to throw Win7 at..... I'll find something. Installing first thing tomorrow morn (UK) WOooOO
    Mooooo
    It runs very well in VM with a gig of RAM. The performance improvements were immediately apparent. VMware tools installed fine too. I just clicked around a bit. I'll spend more time with it when RTM is released, and I can use it as my main OS.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey where are you finding the dowload. I am logged in at technet and dont see anything?
    Do you have a Plus subscription? It's under Operating Systems/Windows 7.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, those of you who have it up and running what do you think? So far, I like it. I like a lot of the changes I've seen so far. I can echo that comment that it runs well. Seems like I read somewhere that this build runs better than all previous versions of XP and Vista.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I've got Windows 7 installed in VMWare Workstation with 2GB allocated on a 64-bit i7 machine and it runs fine. I'm not really seeing a lot of difference between it and Vista, other than the big-ass icons on the task bar and overall it's a little more OS X-like. I've tried installing a few things on it, but the installers are not recognizing the Windows version. icon_lol.gif
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I'm not really seeing a lot of difference between it and Vista, other than the big-ass icons on the task bar and overall it's a little more OS X-like.

But WordPad has the RIBBON!

Seriously though, it seems fine, but there is are no awesome feature that I see that would make me inclined to upgrade.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JD

If the check is actually built in to the msi package, you can sometimes modify the package and remove it using the quick method described here:

LazyNetworkAdmin.com - Remove OS Version Check
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

Paint too! And there's a new calculator!
    Seriously though, it seems fine, but there is are no awesome feature that I see that would make me inclined to upgrade.

I think it's going to be a lot like going from Vista to XP. There isn't seem to be two or three must have features, but the entire package is improved as a whole. I doubt I could talk an average XP user into going to Vista, but whenever I'm back on XP, it feels a bit antiquated. If you google Windows 7 features, you'll find that there's quite a bit of additions/improvements.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409

Is that what that piece of crap is called? Good, now I have name to put to the focus of my hatred. I loathe the ribbon. *shakes fist at sky in rage*

I used to be really fast with keyboard shortcuts in Office programs, but GAH that stupid thing has messed me up! I am a keyboard shortcut type of gal and having to go to the mouse to do stuff really slows me down. I've had to relearn all shortcuts, phooey. icon_cry.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I have a few systems at home I am going to throw W7Beta on :)
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lol - MSDN download took 9 hours ;)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Windows Server 2008 R2: Getting Started - Am I reading too much into this or is anyone else a little miffed about how this change in product model will not only affect our certification goals (possibly) but will also decrease consumer confidence...surely.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    Pash wrote: »
    Windows Server 2008 R2: Getting Started - Am I reading too much into this or is anyone else a little miffed about how this change in product model will not only affect our certification goals (possibly) but will also decrease consumer confidence...surely.

Hm? What change are you talking about? You know there was a 2003 R2 as well, right? ;)
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Hm? What change are you talking about? You know there was a 2003 R2 as well, right? ;)

Sorry dynamik, wasnt very clear was I.

Making the Experience Better Together with Windows 7.

Is this the sign that Vista is a cooked goose entirely? Does anyone have any info on what this will do for EA/SA certification plans etc

I am not one of these preechers who hates vista either, but by the time I get around to finishing the exams for it, I don't wanna have a redundant cert.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:)

coming from a partner who has 11 vista licenses and is currently using zero

I guess it will be better but it is just not worth any of my disk space right now
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

It better have minesweeper damnit!!!

Im planning on trying this bad boy out over the weekend. I like Vista, but is has SUCH a bad rep that I think many will welcome 7 and win them over.

2 cents, nothing more...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    It's simply being released in conjunction with Windows 7. I would assume they'll just add the Windows 7 exam option to the client requirement for the EA. They didn't update the server exams for Server 2003 R2, so they may not update the Server 2008 exams.

What are you planning for a certification path? (i.e. MSCA > MCITP upgrade, etc.)

The new exams probably won't be out until three-six months after the actual products are released, so it's still going to be awhile. If in doubt, just do your client exam last.
    Minesweeper sucks compared to the one in Vista. I hope they'll have that fixed by the release. At least there's now Internet Backgammon. icon_lol.gif
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Is this only available to MSDN/Technet subscribers? The Windows 7 Beta download page on the Technet website says "Coming Soon".
    paintb4707 wrote: »
    Is this only available to MSDN/Technet subscribers? I can't seem to find the download for it anywhere. And the Windows7 website just links you to the Microsoft Download site where it isn't listed either.

This is what it says at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows7
    Want to try the Beta? Come back the afternoon of January 9. And remember—this is just a preview. There's more to come.
    WGU PROGRESS

Try BitTorrent; I'm not kidding.

Oh, it works fine in VMWare Player 6 with 512MB RAM too. This is a clear indication that it's not the finished product. icon_lol.gif