UK growing ever closer to a police state.

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
Cameras everywhere with facial recognition, number plate recognition, dna held on proven innocent individuals ... just in case.

And now this regarding email ... BBC NEWS | UK | UK e-mail law 'attack on rights'
Kam.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's not new thing to be honest. Monitoring or at least the potential for monitoring has been available for years. Checkout Menwith Hill.

The Menwith Hill Site - by Yorkshire CND

NSA spying on citizens..

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/246003/Former_AT_T_Employee_Discovers_Depth_of_NSA_s_Spying_on_Citizens

The tradeoff between national security and personal privacy is a hotly debated topic. It's
    not surprising that in an information age enforcement agencies will consider using
    technology for purposes of communications monitoring. Technology has provided employers with
    means of spying on email sent and received by employees for years. Not a great leap of the
    imagination for the same approach to be national really. Controversial but there you have it.

What is done with all this data? Who knows. Lot of bits and bytes to manage by our NetApp guys!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They will probably bung them on a CD and loose them as always :)

As its a european directive does that not mean its from the EU? or is this specific to the UK?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Better make sure that all my emails are extra juicy from now on then!

Also, wouldn't it be great if the darn ISPS kicked the damn spammers in the face
    Mooooo
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    What irks me is that just because the technology is there that allows you to do a thing, should this necessarily mean that you should do that thing.

I personally believe there should be a certain line in civil liberties with regard to being observed and monitored. (scanning everyone's emails and monitoring all phone conversations, being a very definate line that should not be crossesd, just for the minute, off-chance they may catch an email or conversation where some sort of criminal act is going to take place. What about the other 99.99999999 % of the population being evesdropped on in their private lives. The argument "well if your not doing anything wrong, you shouldn;t have to worry" just smacks off "look, your the sheep, we're running the show, shut up and live with it.... And quit with the bleeting!"

Otherwise we are simply all being treated as suspect criminals just waiting for each of us to put a single foot out of place and then you get jumped on.

I am no screaming lefty or anything but I do believe this is a free, democratic country.

I think I am starting to turn into a grumpy old man.
    Kam.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    What irks me is that just because the technology is there that allows you to do a thing, should this necessarily mean that you should do that thing.

I personally believe there should be a certain line in civil liberties with regard to being observed and monitored. (scanning everyone's emails and monitoring all phone conversations, being a very definate line that should not be crossesd, just for the minute, off-chance they may catch an email or conversation where some sort of criminal act is going to take place. What about the other 99.99999999 % of the population being evesdropped on in their private lives. The argument "well if your not doing anything wrong, you shouldn;t have to worry" just smacks off "look, your the sheep, we're running the show, shut up and live with it.... And quit with the bleeting!"

Otherwise we are simply all being treated as suspect criminals just waiting for each of us to put a single foot out of place and then you get jumped on.

I am no screaming lefty or anything but I do believe this is a free, democratic country.

I think I am starting to turn into a grumpy old man.

Fair comment but not a lot you can do about it really. Monitoring can go on anyway regardless of what the position declared for the benefit of the public is. Interests of national security and all. Nothing wrong with being a lefty in my book. Not sure about screaming though ;)