Best way to learn a new language?

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
So I was just wondering if anyone has taken on learning a new language at a later point in life (IE not a child), and what tools/methods you used?

I have seen a couple of infomercials for some products, but its hard to tell whats the best. I like the idea how some of them are very visual though.

I would really prefer to keep this self-taught, other than my GF and the odd conversations with others for practice, so any advice on that would be great.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you looking at any language in particular? Podcasts are phenomenal!

I use Learn Japanese for my studies. They've branched out into a lot of other languages. I dabbled with the German and Spanish ones, but it was too much to keep up with all three...
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    So I was just wondering if anyone has taken on learning a new language at a later point in life (IE not a child), and what tools/methods you used?

I have seen a couple of infomercials for some products, but its hard to tell whats the best. I like the idea how some of them are very visual though.

I would really prefer to keep this self-taught, other than my GF and the odd conversations with others for practice, so any advice on that would be great.
    So do they have commercials for the "Rosetta Stone" software up in Canada too?? I keep seeing those and I wonder just how good they are, haven't tried them myself.

I did try out Pimsleur for a short time, but I got distracted and lost interest and never got back to it. (At some point, I do plan to finally learn Croatian so I can understand my parents & other relatives when they speak it...and so I can say more than just some insults, "I'm hungry," and "gimme money!" icon_lol.gif)

What language are you looking to learn?

EDIT: Podcasts? Cool, I never even thought about that...good idea!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    haha those are the ones! They are pretty pricey, but it would be worth it I think.

Looking to finish learning french. Took it mostly through highschool and my GF has a degree in it. A lot of Government jobs here want you to be bilingual and I think it would just help me overall. Plus my GF doesn't think I can do it on my own so I want to show her otherwise :P

I have come across a couple of free sites like you mention Dynamik, and they seem decent enough. I don't mind spending a couple of bucks though to get a full end-to-end program.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oooo French. Imagine my surprise. Damn Canadians ;)

Learn French If you become a member for $125 (or somewhere around there I think) per year, you get access to flash cards and other learning tools. The "101" series of language podcasts are really great learning tools. Sign up for a trial membership and check it out. The podcasts themselves are free through.

Rosetta is going to be your best bet for software, but it's incomplete in itself. You essentially learn the language like you got thrown into the native environment. For example, they'll show you the word for ball, and then have a picture of a ball, a dog, a cat, and a boy. You'll learn through trial and error which word matches what. As you advance, you'll get a ball on a table, a ball under a table, a boy on a table, and a boy under a table. You'll then learn how to match x on/under y. And so on. It's a great supplement, but it doesn't really dive into grammar and things like that.

Pimsleur is another good audio program, but they're pricey, and I like the podcast better.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I tried all sorts of software, incuding Rosetta Stone to learn Japanese .. funny enough I am not patient enough to learn languages like that. I think the only way I would learn another language is a class or living in that particular country.

I left germany in 2001 and my English was good enough to order a beer ... Now, I think, my English isn't too bad :P
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Best way .. pick a country/language

Ditch the gf, withdraw what you have in the bank and go there... with backpack/tent/primus stove, Youth Hostells membership card [ very important ] Have little money and you be amazed at how quick you can learn the language properly.

I did that many, many years ago backpacking through the forests of Germany. Got to Septrember and I was waking up in my tent in a forest clearing, miles from any other human, bone cold (takes half a day to warm up).

I was as close as you could get to Berlin without a train/plane to get into "East Germany" and I had to make a decision. Go to Communist Berlin or go home. I chose to go home.

Come December, the Berlin wall came down.... I was gutted !
    Kam.
    Well I agree that submersion is probably the best, but its not a "complete" option as of yet. I may however end up in Ottawa, which is close to 70% french speaking, this year. Also, quebec is just a hop, skip and jump away (all more reasons why I want to learn it).

That does sound tempting Kam! Last time I was wondering around europe (mind you it was with a car and hotels lol), it was very hard to leave!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Rosetta Stone is hands down the best I've used. I am studying Russian right now and I have learned a ton. The program is easy to use, keeps your place, and isn't boring.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Immersion is the best approach.

I live in Texas, and grew up in a mostly Hispanic neighborhood, so I was fortunate enough to be exposed to the version of Spanish they speak down here from early childhood on. We also spend a lot of time in Mexico, so I get quite a bit of practice every year.

In the early 90's I found it necessary to learn enough French to get by in France. Again, my approach was a form of immersion. I was able to learn and to this day retain quite a bit of French.

The program that I used then was called French in Action. It's a series of videos filmed in the late 80's that take you through a story and everyday situations. I watched them repeatedly. Coupling that with periods of time having to speak French and I was able to learn enough to be functional.

There is a similar program that exists for Spanish. It is called Destinos. I'm sure they have these for other languages as well.

I believe both of these series are periodically shown in public television, and I think they are even available for free (streaming) at www.learner.org .

I still have copies of both of these things, and periodically I will watch the entire series.

Another thing that helps is watching television or movies, or reading books in the language you want to learn. Again, we have a lot of Spanish channels down here, so it's always available.

The most amazing thing about learning another language is how much you learn about your native language in the process.

One of the funniest things about French is that they are hyper-sensitive about English or other foreign words creeping into their language. Because of new technology, and English words becoming too common, the government mandated in the 90's "new" words to represent common technology terms. They are very protective...

MS
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Stick post-it notes on the everyday things you have around the house, it helps you get a working vocabuarly. I have tried French and German but I still can't get the hang of it, maybe Im not one for languages or I couldn't be bothered, I don't know which. But when in doubt just speak louder. "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?!?!?" It works for me.
    Yes we can, yes we can...
    Thanks for the link eMeS and dynamik. French is technically the second language in Canada, so theres lots of materials here, as well as a few TV stations.

I have also seen these groups at the library, where you get together with someone trying to learn English, who speaks the language you are trying to learn, and you basically sit down and converse for an hour.