home network internet bandwidth??!??

mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice if possible!

I seem to have had a strange issue start at home with internet access.

Firstly, a quick heads up on hardware....

2 x ethernet homeplug, one attached to wireless router, one upstairs attached to pc.

2 laptops accessing network wirelessly.

well known broadband provider connected to isp at 4mbs via netgear dg834gt router.

The problem......

When i am downloading anything, no one seems to be able to access the internet. This is obviously a bandwidth issue.

For example, downloading windows 7 beta currently on the upstairs pc attached to network via a homeplug, and i am on a laptop wirelessly, and i have had to pause the downloads to be able to access this site! weird! this has never happened before but has been the case now for a month or two.

I can fully understand that most of my bandwidth is taken up because i am downloading, but in the past, there has been enough bandwidth left for other network users to access the internet??

I have set up port forwarding for my downloads, but this has not solved the problem. If anyone could point me in the right direction with any suggestions, i would be gratefull. Maybe i am just doing something wrong.

Cheers!!!

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Maybe when downloading one of the devices cant process new tcp sessions. which is weird, but i suppose possible. i would reset all the devices in your control to their factory defaults and see if it goes away.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sometimes if too many connections are being made through your router it can max out and the router will no longer accept any new ones. This comes up a lot in things like bittorrent, which can make many hundreds of connections at once. If you're using bittorrent lower the maximum number of connections and see if that helps.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmm, tried these suggestions but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Thanks for the ideas, i will keep rattling away at it and post back when i get to the bottom of it!
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You need to do some tests.

What happens if you plug a laptop directly into the router?

Does downloading on one laptop affect the other laptop?