Linksys Router Problem

bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
When i'm trying to connect to the homepage of my linksys wrtg54 router, the page only displays partially. Most of the tabs and buttons are missing.

I've tried this from 2 different vista machines and also from a VM 2003 box, all get the same result. I've tried adding it to the trusted sites, disabling protected mode, switching off windows firewall etc but no luck. Powered off the router as well.

Searching google a few others have had the same issue but only resolution i could see was disabling zone alarm, which none of my machines have.

Anyone had the same or have any suggestions? It has worked in the past but i haven't tried to connect to it in months.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Have you rebooted the router? Oops, missed that, you have. If that doesn't work then you may want to do a hard reset of the router and reconfigure it. Have you updated the firmware recently?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    not sure if you came across this page already, but it contains some info on how to force a firmware upgrade...that might help. I have the same router, V5 I believe, and I'm having no issues with getting to the configuration page with Vista so I don't think it's an OS problem
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Sounds like the firmware upgrade is the way to go here.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • nangananga Member Posts: 201
    try using a different browser to connect
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    nanga wrote: »
    try using a different browser to connect

Ive never had that problem with linksys, but i do have that problem with alot of different devices.

I have several different firewalls, apps, and printers that work better with FF or IE7.
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    bencairney, I have the same problem. Sometimes the page displays some or half of the page. I only experience this with Firefox 3.0.5. IE 7 has no problems for me. Which sounds like you have the opposite problem. I was suspicious of ZoneAlarm, considering it has caused a majority of my pc problems in the last couple of years, but it does not seem to be the problem. Even after disabling it I can't get it to function properly except in IE 7. I doubt it's a firmware considering I am up to date and it worked previously with the same firmware.

List what browser, version and plugins you have installed and maybe we can figure it out.
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the replies, i've tried pretty much everything and its still doesn't work.

Reset the router - worked on the 3rd attempt, The page still doesn't display correctly which means its now unsecure and I can't get on to setup security etc.

Also means i can't update the firmware as the tab doesn't display.

I've tried from:

IE6 on W2003
    IE7 on several vista machines
    Opera 9.6.3 on vista
    Firefox 3.0.5 on vista

All have the same issue.

Its a weird one as its worked before with the fw level it has(i've never updated it) which wouls suggest its a browser fault. But all of those browsers not working from different machines would suggest its the router not the browser?

Not sure where to go from here. Maybe a new router as I don't like the idea of it being unsecure at present.
    I don't use IE 7 ever, except to manage my router. I have the default settings with med-high security. Try resetting your IE 7 setting in Advanced >> Reset to the factory defaults and see if it works. Like I said mine are on default and IE 7 works perfect but firefox does not.
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't use IE 7 ever, except to manage my router. I have the default settings with med-high security. Try resetting your IE 7 setting in Advanced >> Reset to the factory defaults and see if it works. Like I said mine are on default and IE 7 works perfect but firefox does not.

Tried that as well, still no luck i'm afraid. I've bought another router so I can secure my broadband, i'll keep messing with that one and try and get to the bottom of the issue.
  • nangananga Member Posts: 201
    try confuring the router with a different machine......just to nullify the aspect that it is not a firmware problem.
    You might want to search the linksys forums. I saw several post with different router and this very problem. It looks like others have the same problem with IE 7 versions,some work some don't. If it is a browser problem then it's cross browser cause I only have problems with firefox.