"Digg proof" hosting

astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
After being inspired by a recent post here, I was curious if anyone has personal experience with any webhosts marketing themselves as "Digg proff" or "Slashdot proff" etc.

And please don't say MediaTemple.net or it'll send me into a rant about the god awful experience I just had with them...

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm thinking about moving a site or two to firehost: Managed Shared Hosting | The Official FireHost Blog - Fully Managed Web Hosting

Each managed hosting site actually uses a different server for each circle that is hardened specifically for that purpose: Managed Shared Hosting - Secure Web Hosting - Secure Shared Hosting | FireHost It's a pretty nice setup.

I'll probably make the switch once I start getting some decent traffic. The quote they gave me was $50/mo for 1GB of space with 2TB/mo of bandwidth.

Multiple people have encouraged me to switch to WordPress from Drupal, so now I'm redoing my theme in WordPress and trying to get acclimated to that icon_mad.gif

I thought I also saw www.verio.com advertise packages that'll handle Digg or /. traffic, but I can't find the specific page now.

If you or anyone else, is interested in Firehost, let me know, and I'll give you the info for my contact there.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to get A LOT of traffic to warrant going to any type of dedication physical/virtual hosting. I get over 20,000 hits every month and have over 500 RSS subscribers and I'm nowhere close to the need. I'd think the only reason to go dedicated is high amounts of average traffic or DIGG proof yourself.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The product I'm looking at is still a shared solution. I'm actually looking at Firehost more for the security features; I'm not too concerned about the traffic loads. After the recent attack on TE, I'm wondering what sort of problems I'll experience running a security-related site.

While those are some very impressive numbers, you'd probably get similar traffic in around a day if you managed to front-page Digg.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ServInt Virtual Private Servers (VPS)

Dedicated Virtual Server for $50 / month. They are VERY helpful from what I hear. I've had them bookmarked in case I decide to go to the next step up from shared.

I'll give Firehost a look due to their security oriented nature.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks