Options

Career guidance : IT CERTS

vegetaholicvegetaholic Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was working as a Java web developer but due to economy crisis the work has been ceased and I am jobless now but I have managed to find web development job in php and mysql and going to join it next month.

I fear of that future of Java in web and enterprise development will be cloudy because
most of companies have turned off Java and started using Ruby on Rails,Adobe flex
and Php which are easy to maintain.I am myself going to work in php due to shortages
of Java jobs.

I am thinking about acquiring security certs but I have no idea where to begin.I have very basic knowledge of networks and operating systems.

Please tell me which cert to begin with? Do I need to go for OS and network certs first ?

if yes ,then which would be my best bet?

OR

I should not change the development field.

my certs:SCJP,SCWCD,OCA.
You can't kill Java because he is sun of king C.

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would start with A+ IT Technician. This will give you some history on the hardware and software used. Then, I would take Network+ followed by Security+ which is a basic security course..its a good way to see if you like the security path.
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I would hang in there, with your current certs and experience you should have no problems finding a job in Java sometime soon.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are good programmer, you will find a job easy. Programmer is easy to find job because we need them. If you are willing to move, then it should be any problem.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am not trying to start a flame war, but making the jump from programmer to IT is a little harder than programmer's give it credit.

Generally you will want to knock out your MCSE and maybe move into the advanced Microsoft certs like MCM. You'll also need a strong Cisco background, CCNP and a few others. Then you can start in on your Security certs. Most people seem to start with Sec+ and CEH for their first security certs after geting their grounding in Linux/Cisco/Windows.

But if you want to stay in programming, looks like you might need to diversity your skill set and get involved in an open source project. reactOS would be my first choice. Or maybe WINE.

How are your MIPS/ASM, QT, GTK and C skills? No lack of demand there. Or even in VB and C#, but they seem to pay a lot less.

With your background in databases you might also want to certify up in MySQL, PostGRE and Microsoft SQL server.

How about posting your resume so we can have more detail on your background, as it stands I am shooting in the dark.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If i were you I would try to start with Sec+ or CCNA. If you would rather wade in than jump in, start with N+. Dont underestimate the tests, particularly given their hefty price tags.
  • Options
    markk2008markk2008 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would just hang in there as well, something is bound to turn up in the end.
    People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT
  • Options
    Thanks for your splendid replies :)

Let me know you about my skills sets : c/c++ fundamentals,core Java(not swing),servlet, Jsp,Jsf,sql/plsql,a little Perl,html,xml,java script.

My work lies to web development field and I like it.But you guys say I need to diversify
    ,please enlighten me more about it.

I am also interested in various database management and security because
    the fields such as heath records,various government things etc are going to
    be digital and already have been digital.More jobs are to come in those fields.
    You guys better know than me what I am talking about.

Do I need really to go through horrible network certs ,if I want to jump in
    IS field?

Are those networking knowledges neccessary to become a database security expert?

I think system admin and DBA knowledge is sufficient for database security.In short I fear of mind-boggling ,head-banging,ass-kicking networking certs but still interested in
    Information security.(I would like to be called CEH/CISSP ;) )

All I want is to have good career, so please educate me according to it.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would ask myself if I prefer programming of if I would more prefer system or network administration. If you prefer programming, stick with it as there will always be a demand for some form of programming knowledge. It's just like the other side of IT (system/network admin) where you need to make sure that your skill set evolves with the industry as it changes. If Java jobs begin to see a heavy decline, you may have to learn something else, it's just the nature of working in IT.

So I guess you would have the choice of remaining in programming and further expanding your knowledge to become more marketable in that realm, or you can work towards other certs and transition slowly into a system/network admin type role which will also require time and resources on your part to expand your knowledge. I'm by no means a programmer, but I still see plenty of Java jobs available in my region. Personally, if I was a programmer already and running into some job troubles, I would try to stick it out and keep working at landing another good programming job (that is of course if you enjoy it).
  • Options
    Thanks Msteinhibler for your generous reply. :)

Well,Mainly I love programming but I also want to work in security tools such as CEH
    and back tracks.I know it's long way to go.I better find a job ,whatever it pays it
    does not matter for now, learn c/c++ and linux in weekends and then will decide
    to jump in security field.

So guys ,Do you agree with me?