Options

Password Recovery Confirmation

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
It seems we have a problem.

Our central IT Department is changing their external facing IP's due to a new ISP on the weekend.

The problem this creates for me: -

I have 2 sites that connect over a Site-to-Site VPN.

One of the routers I can get into over Telnet, because it uses a standard password (setup by our old Central company before we got taken over two years ago (I've only been here 6 months so do not have any communications with previous IT People

The other router uses a password which I do not know.

I know the standard password recovery routine - Break, confreg 02142, reset, read config, break level 7 password.

In order to do this though, you need to be at the Router... which is not possible as it is over 300 miles away.

Am I going on a road trip this weekend then ?

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well you could always get the config and try to crack the password. If it just has the "password" command with service-password encryption those are easy to break with many websites. If it has an enable secret you could try cracking it with rainbow tables. There was a project not too long ago that was like seti that was setup to make a huge database of passwords and their equivalent MD5 hash. Cisco routers do not use a salt if I remember correctly making it feasible.

Or have someone on site do it...
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    If I had the config, then surely I'd have the password too :)

I mentioned that I knew about level 7's being crackable

My last option, I suppose, is to get another Router, and build a new config (I can do this knowing what I know about the remote site)
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Road trip time...
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get somone to hook a laptop up to it and use RDP or some other method of remotly controlling their laptop.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a great idea! Otherwise what is the weather like these days for a road trip in Wales?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

dtlokee wrote: »
    Get somone to hook a laptop up to it and use RDP or some other method of remotly controlling their laptop.

Also a good idea.

However, there are no laptops on site, and no PC's nearby that we can hook up.

Actually I've gone the other way...

I found out this morning that the central IT dept were responsible for migrating the routers to their network in the first place - so surely one of them will know how it was done ;)
  • Options
    Ah well, they're sending me another router.

Luckily I have a configuration lifted out of another router that is connected in a very similar way, so I should be able to get that done and send it up...