Options

help w/ Reliability and Performance Monitor

e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
I need help understanding the Reliability and Performance Monitor and the Counters. I want to track my memory usage and precessor, so i added the following counters: "%Processor Time" and "Available MBytes". I am confused, because "Available MBytes" is always at 100%. Did i add the right counter? Is there a counter that shows how much physical ram i am using?

Any tips will help.
thank you,
E
Utini!

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Switch to the report view
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Switch to the report view
    hey mate that is a lot nicer to look at - thanks. Do i have the right Counters in place to track RAM/memory usage?

thanks.
    Cheers.
    Utini!
  • Options
    e24ohm wrote: »
    hey mate that is a lot nicer to look at - thanks. Do i have the right Counters in place to track RAM/memory usage?
    Well you're tracking available memory (not usage). What is it you want to do exactly?
  • Options
    Well you're tracking available memory (not usage). What is it you want to do exactly?
    i have a sql 2005 server that is getting hit hard, but i can not tell if it is normal activity on my databases, or if the system needs to be replaced.

thanks.
    Utini!
  • Options
    i have a sql 2005 server that is getting hit hard, but i can not tell if it is normal activity on my databases, or if the system needs to be replaced.
    Is it just running Database Services? Or is it also running Analysis Services, Integration Services, Reporting Services, etc? I'll give you some specific counters based on that.
  • Options
    Is it just running Database Services? Or is it also running Analysis Services, Integration Services, Reporting Services, etc? I'll give you some specific counters based on that.
    right now it is running only ms-sql.
    Utini!
  • Options
    right now it is running only ms-sql.
    I was part way through replying when I realized that Microsoft should have written something covering exactly what you are trying to do... and they did: Troubleshooting Performance Problems in SQL Server 2005

:D
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Make your life easier, and use this:

Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) Tool - Home

SQL Server gurus contributed a mode in it to analyze specifically SQL servers for bottlenecks in performance data.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218

thanks.

You can test with Perfmon on the server itself, but you might be better off finding the root cause of your frustration with SQL Server Profiler and analyzing a trace log.

How to troubleshoot SQL Server performance issues
    Tips for Using SQL Server Performance Monitor Counters

In addition, if you can be a little more specific about what the slowdown pertains to, maybe that would help us too. It may be that you just need to make some indexes, or create some filegroups on different drives, or move the tempdb...or something like that.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't forget to add Disk-Q Length, it'll let you know if your IO is getting backed up.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    The article I linked to in my previous reply covers all those areas (SQL Profiler, Resources, CPU, Memory, I/O, Tempdb, Slow-Running Queries, etc), I just jumped down to the memory section. I would suggest starting at the beginning of the article which cover the methodology of troubleshooting SQL Server problems and then works through trying to determine the root cause(s).
  • Options
    thanks mates!!!
    cheers!!!
    Utini!