Options

How to Append 35 Word Files into 1

susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
Hello,

I am studying for my MCP, and have created over 35 separtate
Word .docx and .doc study files, a mixture of both, most are word 2007
. I am trying to create a MACRO that will combine or append
all of these or at least most of them into 1 .DOCX OR .DOC FILE.
So I will have one large Ebook, so to speak to study from.

Can someone help me create a Macro that will Append all these files:
I have for example. Doc1, Doc2, Doc3, Doc4, Doc5, etc and I want
to combine OR append them into just one MAIN.DOC . or MAIN.DOCX

Thankyou all, Ric

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I keep my notes by exam and book(s) and chapter/topic when I make them and use some sort of common naming scheme like BSCI-certguide-01.doc, BSCI-certguide-02.doc, etc and BSCI-selfstudy-01.doc, etc

Then I usually just create a new Master Document (should be in the help, unless they've renamed it to something else in the 2007 version) and insert my existing documents into it as sub-documents. I may shuffle the sub-documents around if I have notes from a couple different sources to keep the major topics from both sources together in the big print out.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Another reason to love OneNote, it makes tasks like this a thing of the past. Check it out for your future studies.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pdfcreator from pdfforge will do what you request. check it out, its free and open source.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you ever need to do something like this in a hurry and don't have access to add-ons, just do a "save as" and choose plain text (*.txt) for all docs.

If necessary, rename the files in the order you want them to go and make sure they are all in the same directory (folder).

Open up a command prompt at the directory containing your text files.

copy *.txt mstr.txt

Open up mstr.txt in the WP of your choice

Fix up the fonts, style, size, page breaks, etc.

Primitive, but it works

:)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote: »
    Another reason to love OneNote, it makes tasks like this a thing of the past. Check it out for your future studies.

+1

I use it all the time.
  • Options
    susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    thank you all for those great suggestions.

With all your help , I have 1 Nice size Ebook of all my separate docx files,
    Now I can study everything from one source. Thanks again.

I have word 2007. My notes and formatting are pretty bad, is there a place
    in 2007 Word where I can "select everything" and it will Format Everything into
    a Beautiful Style or Template with the correct fonts, Headlines, spacing, color
    etc. Sort of a premade template, because my notes combined into the ebook although
    not too bad, if arranged more Neat and Organized, and Styled properly would have
    a great effect on helping me study. Any idea how I can format the "entire" document
    now that I have combined all the small documents. Thanks again, Ric
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I would open thirty-five files and control-a, control-c, alt-f4, alt-tab, control-v. It ain't purdy but it's fun for the first 35 files.
  • Options
    deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    I would open thirty-five files and control-a, control-c, alt-f4, alt-tab, control-v. It ain't purdy but it's fun for the first 35 files.

that was most definitely amusing