Options

Hardware hacker charged with selling cable modems that get free broadband

paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
Hardware Hacker Charged With Selling Cable Modems That Get Free Broadband -- Update | Threat Level from Wired.com
the user can set their own upload and download rates, and change the MAC address — the unique identifier normally hard-coded into a modem.
icon_eek.gif

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You've been able to do that for a long time now. People either reflashed the firmware in the cable modem or exploited a flaw in most implementations of how a DOCSIS modem requests its configuration.

You're on a shared segment so if everybody starts messing around with the caps then you'll all suffer.
  • Options
    Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    yep, there were tutorials on how to do this since I got my first cable connection in 2003. A lot of people were facing criminal charges for uncapping their modems.
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • Options
    The cable company can tell if anybody is download/uploading faster than they should be able to. If you change the MAC address then they'll also notice that a new modem has appeared that doesn't correspond to any of their records.

You're not as safe as they make out. If the cable company really wants to get you, they will.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's software for changing your NIC MAC address too so that it shows up differently on the network. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    There's software for changing your NIC MAC address too so that it shows up differently on the network. :D
    Its usually built into the NIC driver. I've had users messing around with that before and caused havoc.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The thing is, they can never tell which exact house it is. It only goes down the node as far as them tracking it.

icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    The thing is, they can never tell which exact house it is. It only goes down the node as far as them tracking it.
    Yup. Just don't piss them off enough to warrant sending somebody out to check.
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245

icon_surprised.gif

Indeed this is true. If someone were smart they would just put their modem at a 5mb or 10mb connection and not uncap it... this would create a lot less attention.

I hate to be harsh towards the ISP, but there are MANY ways to counter this. I work for a cable company and it is all but impossible to do it on our network, and we've had people try :)
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□

icon_surprised.gif

This has all sorts of strong legal implications as well. As far as I know here in the UK at least, if you purchase the cable modem when you signed up to your ISP, it is your property. Therefore the cable company cannot claim right to have access to their property (because it isnt) and would require a warrant to have access to your property if they believed you were involved in misuse of their provided service.

A friend of mine used to take advantage of uncapping on a former UK cable provider, never got caught but I don't know if I would ever take the risk.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Pash wrote: »
    This has all sorts of strong legal implications as well. As far as I know here in the UK at least, if you purchase the cable modem when you signed up to your ISP, it is your property. Therefore the cable company cannot claim right to have access to their property (because it isnt) and would require a warrant to have access to your property if they believed you were involved in misuse of their provided service.
    Badly designed system to be honest. You're trusting the client to be good and throttle itself to the configured caps. I'd assuming that they can temporarily isolate an individual line however from the outside and test it in isolation.