Options

Debit / Credit card fraud

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

My partners card was recently cloned and used in a Dominos pizza shop 75 miles away to the tune of £37 (easily enough pizza for 3), my initial thought was how was my partners pin obtained, she only uses it in main shops like Asda, Sainsburys etc....anyway. Card cancelled and a new one arrived in the post, money was even credited back to her account once the bank realised that it was actually a fraudulant transaction, they will now claim the money back from Dominos pizza.

The cost of investigating a fraud like this surpasses the amount that was stolen so who would do it, as far as I am aware all Domino pizza shops have video cameras, if they travelled to it by car then other cameras nearby may have recorded the number plate, who knows.

The most famous one is online gambling were they deliberatley lose it to someone they know to then have it transfered into there account, makes me think am in the wrong job

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Something similar happened to me when i used my gf card at a chineese food place. So one day i went in and had lunch using my gf credit card. Unfortunately a few weeks later she got a call from her credit card company explaining that she had some activity they wanted to clarify. The charges they wanted some more info was for 1000 at a walmart that was nowhere close to us. Of course she had not made the charges on this card.

From what i understand or at least what happend to us is that the place actually scanned the card into a reader pulling all the data off the card. At this point they are capable of making another card with all her info.

Not sure what happened at the dominos but just wanted to share my story.

On another note be careful with credit cards with RFID tags in then. A simple laptop and a RFID device attached to it can simple get close enough to your purse or walet and extract that info without ever touching it.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I watched a panorama or something on this and it was all about gangs doing card skimming in shops, ATM machines, it was unbelievable to see what these people do - terrible to actually just "take" someone else's earnings. From watching the program the majority had the attitude of "doesn't matter really the bank will pay them the money back anyway" - scum!

I had my card "skimmed" somewhere last year although I have absolutely no idea where.

I am the same where I only use it in Asda, Tesco etc along with petrol stations which are renowned for this happening though. On the program I watched, it showed if you hand your card over they quickly skim it under the counter when you look away for a second then put it into the actual chip and pin machine.

The other one is on ATM machines where they put a device on the outside of the card slot which is actually a skimmer, and fix a very small camera that points down onto the keypad where you enter your pin so they have your card & pin if you don't cover it up.

I had 4 missed calls on my mobile the day I found out, which when I answered it the 5th time it was an automated voice prompt system that immediately started asking me to

"Press 2 if your name is ..........."
    "then please confirm your address is.........by pressing 2"

I had never experienced a bank using this type of system so I just hung up and thought it was a scam.

I went to my Gran's funeral that day and my girlfriend was with me, then I needed some diesel so I pulled into a petrol station, filled up the tank, went to pay by card and it was declined. I couldn't for the life of me understand especially as it was pay day!!!!!

So I had to get my girlfriend from the car as I had no credit cards on me except company credit card and got her to pay for it. There was a huge queue in the petrol station so was pretty embarrassing! On the way home I pulled over and called the bank branch and they said I needed to phone he fraud team as there has been 5 attempts to withdraw 250 dollars in America at different ATM's but the card was knocked back for the wrong pin and they locked my card for unusual activity.

They asked if I had been over to the States and I replied no, to which they completely cancalled my card and a new card/pin was sent out. Thankfully I didn't lose any money. They also said "we tried to call you all day" and when I advised them I wasn't comfortable confirming my personal details to an automated system they said they understood but it was a new system that the bank had implemented.

I still to this day have no idea where it was skimmed as I was extra careful and vigilant, but am even more so now. The only thing I could think is it was stolen from an internet transaction but I only used reputable companies like Amazon etc, I remember checking 3 months back in my statement and nothing looked odd so just shows you.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    In your case it could well have been the internet as they never had your correct pin as this is not needed when purchasing over the internet

I personaly think no matter how much the value of a fraudulant transaction is it should be properly investigated, and maybe it is I dont know

seems all too easy in my opinion as there is no way of re-tracing your steps to see were it could have been skimmed, unless that is you only use your card once in a blue moon but thats no likely with most people using the same card for almmost every purchase
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I bank with lloyds and they have extra secruity on online purchases with my credit card.

Glad the banks sorted it out for your other half Lee, is never nice to have something stolen.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Lee H wrote: »
    In your case it could well have been the internet as they never had your correct pin as this is not needed when purchasing over the internet

I personaly think no matter how much the value of a fraudulant transaction is it should be properly investigated, and maybe it is I dont know

seems all too easy in my opinion as there is no way of re-tracing your steps to see were it could have been skimmed, unless that is you only use your card once in a blue moon but thats no likely with most people using the same card for almmost every purchase

You could always look into services like Paypal's one time use credit card numbers. Admittedly, those are too much of a pain everytime you use them.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe I need to go back to cash
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote: »
    I bank with lloyds and they have extra secruity on online purchases with my credit card.

So do RBS so even more worrying if it was stolen from an online transaction

I forgot to mention in my original post that my mate got £1000 stolen from his account from somewhere in Thailand (he hasn't ever been to Thailand).

Although it was fun winding him up, asking when his mail order bride was going to arrive!

He got his money back in a week or so and no bride arrived so it all turned out in the end..... still scarey stuff.