Options

Leaving IT - Anyone?

xocerrpyxocerrpy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I wondered if anyone has thought they wanted a career in IT because they like computers, are good on them or like browsing etc, but when they actually get into the certs at a deep level realise it's not for them? Or even if they just outright decide they don't like computers after working in them? Anyone decided to leave/phase it out? What do you want to move to?

I'm just curious and thought it may be cool to have a change of pace and discuss something a bit different. Anyone care to comment?

Cheers!!

Comments

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Ive been toying with the idea of a second carrer at some point in my life and not even certain when this would be and to what profession, a change is as good as a rest so it would involve being outside and preferable standing up as I spend most of my time inside and sitting down, ha ha that reads quite funny

I am 33 and only been in IT for 5 years so I figure at least another 10 before I move on into something new, if I have enough wonga at that time I wouldn't mind starting up my own painting and decorating company somewhere abroad

Lee H
  • Options
    markk2008markk2008 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was having real trouble finding a job about 8 months ago, I was thinking of joining the police instead cos I heard the money is pretty good, but then I did manage to secure myself a position. So all is good.

I do know what you mean though
    People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I've toyed with two ideas later in life:

A. Run for political office - However, I doubt I'd do well due to my penchant for telling people things they don't want to hear
    B. Teach college - Toyed with the idea of doing studies and teaching about computer technology from an historical/sociological perspective. This is probably far more realistic than A. Well... at least running for political office and actually winning it. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm thinking of getting away from technical work in the future but I don't think I could completely sever myself from IT. Maybe a learning consultant, pre-sales engineer, something like that. But that's years off.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    xocerrpy wrote: »
    I wondered if anyone has thought they wanted a career in IT because they like computers, are good on them or like browsing etc, but when they actually get into the certs at a deep level realise it's not for them? Or even if they just outright decide they don't like computers after working in them? Anyone decided to leave/phase it out? What do you want to move to?

I'm just curious and thought it may be cool to have a change of pace and discuss something a bit different. Anyone care to comment?

Cheers!!

It's completely normal for someone to have a change in heart when it comes to working with something you enjoy. It becomes a job and no longer a pleasure. I wouldn't sweat it too much if you consider changing fields. It's not for everyone.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I recently just changed my major from IT to Criminal Justice.

Although I am currently working in IT, I will change to a Correctional Officer/Police Officer role ASAP.
  • Options
    JJArmsJJArms Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xocerrpy wrote: »

Cheers!!

I am a firm believer in that you should try everything under the sun that interests you career-wise.

I got lucky -- I never knew I was good with computers until I was forced to sit down and work with them; I was working separating human blood plasma for medicine until my knees gave way and I could not go back to my old job.

I was given the opportunity to go to class to get my A+ and the moment I sat down I finally knew what I was good at.

I haven't looked back since.

Try everything, you might get lucky like I did.

Regards,

JJArms~
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I think a lot of people who get into IT because they "like computers" are misinformed about what IT is all about. Those commercials for ITT Tech & similar places are very misleading, and if you don't know what you're getting into then it can be a bit of a shock once you get into deeper topics and realize that there's more to it than building custom rigs & doing some tweaks (although some people can make a career out of that stuff).

Career changes are pretty common though. Most people change careers at least a couple times in their lives. I was a geology major, then worked in construction administration, now I'm into IT, and my next venture will probably be animal behaviorism.

If you can get all you want out of one field and not be bored by it, then more power to ya and congrats for picking a field that's truly great for you. But some people take a while to find their "calling," and other people just have a lot of different interests and need to switch it up every now and again.

I say do whatever floats your boat. If you get into something that isn't what it seemed and it turns out you don't like it, then go find something that you do like. We spend WAY too much of our time at work, may as well spend that time doing something you actually enjoy.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion