Options

What's datacenter admin jobrole?

vegetaholicvegetaholic Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
My job is not related to the above topic and I am just curious to know what's the role
of data center's administer.

Does his role lie to managing database(firing queries,delectation,updation etc. )?

or His role's related to data security ?

or both. :)

I see Heath and government sectors advertise this kind of job roles.

best regards,
your fellow
You can't kill Java because he is sun of king C.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Trust me it can be anything from operator to system admin to DB admin !! There's no standard here and it depends on the HR understanding (or lack thereof) of the role !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    I gotcha , thanks for reply :)
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    DC admin would be very lucky to get onto any equipment. The idea of a data cente is a secure and controlled building to house equipment so that it can be remotely administered.

The sort of thing you might be thinking of could be a Network Operations Centre (NOC) which is a different thing entirely. They actively monitor/troubleshoot/update equipment in remote data centres/tech rooms.

In a DC, an admin role will be things like controlling access to building, to the cabs themselves, auditing, changing backup tapes, maybe space and capacity planning.... Possibly installations but not configurations and the occasional, go do a reboot of something and then phone someone to tell them you have done it.

Is a very good foot in the door when you are starting out.
    Kam.
  • Options
    'am glad you replied , thanks for additional information. :)
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DC is a secured area that is for sure. Admin role can be you are just sitting inside their to provide remote field office support, local systme admin.. or system admin for the DC.

You really need to look into the job description, but overall DC is dealing a lot of DB, Svr maintenance, WAN and high level connectivity...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn