Options

Samba

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Samba question for Samba / Linux Gurus lol

Have any of you guys had any experience of setting up Samba at home?

( The scenario)

I'm new to Linux, want to dabble with Samba and learn the basics in file sharing, I have two machines 1 Windows, 1 Ubuntu. First I want to create a folder on the Linux machine called files and share it with the Windows machine just to get a Jist of how Samba works.

Does anyone have a good example of a smb.config as to how to do this?

The second main question I am struggling with is how does the authetication process work? what I mean is say I am on the XP machine and want to View the Samba share, by default I can't view it as it asks me for credentials? are these windows credentials or credentials created in the smb.config? or Linux credentials? this is the confusing part for me.

Which part on the smb.config is access determined?

Many Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Ok there are several items at play here in your smb.conf. Let's first look at the [global] section. To start off with since you're talking simple here you would want:

security = user

This starts it off with just a simple user/password scheme. This is probably what you are using already. Next off is:

guest account = nobody

Set your guest account to an account with valid permissions to what you are sharing. Now we get down to your share.

[share]
    path = /home/user/share
    guest ok = yes

Make sure you have guest ok in there. That should be the basics for getting your share available and on the network. Be sure to browse through the man pages for smb.conf and run testparm to make sure you smb.conf syntax is correct. And here's the official samba how to guide: The Official Samba 3.2.x HOWTO and Reference Guide
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Samba question for Samba / Linux Gurus lol

Have any of you guys had any experience of setting up Samba at home?

( The scenario)

I'm new to Linux, want to dabble with Samba and learn the basics in file sharing, I have two machines 1 Windows, 1 Ubuntu. First I want to create a folder on the Linux machine called files and share it with the Windows machine just to get a Jist of how Samba works.

Does anyone have a good example of a smb.config as to how to do this?

The second main question I am struggling with is how does the authetication process work? what I mean is say I am on the XP machine and want to View the Samba share, by default I can't view it as it asks me for credentials? are these windows credentials or credentials created in the smb.config? or Linux credentials? this is the confusing part for me.

Which part on the smb.config is access determined?

Many Thanks
    I will dig some items up, I have some Samba resources at home, that might help out. Look forward to my post over the weekend.

Cheers!
    Utini!
  • Options
    There seems to be a dinstinct lack of decent books for noobs on Samba, I have read a few books and they all jump into the deep end and assume you are some kind of hardcore Linux Sysadmin.

Give me a book that teaches to you how to get from A to B in small easy steps and I would be happy.

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    I have got my first Samba config off the ground. Woohoo! lol

Had a bit of trouble getting Windows to talk to Linux, Had to configure the Hosts file on both machines. But it's all kool I can access Linux from windows by both I.P and Server name. Then for some strange reason Debian wasn't accepting my static I.P settings when I configured them from the CLI So I had to configure them from the gui.

I havent really setup anything fancy this is just the start I basically am sharing 2 folders from my Linux box.

I am using a excellent book called Samba-3 by Example. This is concise it's easy reading very straight forward and doesn't baffle you with unnecessary bloat. The book contains examples where they config is using 50 machines in a imaginary network lol I don't own 50 Pc's so how can I fufill this example? It also shows you how to setup and share a printer via CUPS.

I might invest in a Cheap networkable HP Laserjet and just have my XP machine and 2 other instances of windows running virtually, So I can dabble further and in theory experiment with Samba between 3 machines. What are the requirements for running say 2 versions of Windows virtually? I currently have a AMD Athlon 3200+ 3 Gig of DDR. I'm the type of person who is reluctant to splash out on the lastest kit I tend to make the most of my gear.

I have a 1st Gen Core 2 processor upstairs I ordered a board off ebay but it was faulty and wasn't displaying a output on the graphics and one of the capicitors had blown. I'm expecting a replacement board to be delivered soon I'm thinking of putting in 3 Gig of DDR-2 and a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drive. Would this be good enough for running 2 instances of windows XP virtually?

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    You could run several VMs on a machine that powerful. I personally am stingy with my RAM on xp clients I only give them 64 MB. You could easily setup 5 or more XP clients on that machine.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    aordal wrote: »
    I personally am stingy with my RAM on xp clients I only give them 64 MB.
    64MB? Are you the person that comes up with the minimum system requirements for software?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I usually like to do a fluctuating memory trick for my VMs. During the installation and setup phase give it a gig, then once that is done cut it down to 256 or 512, depending upon what I am using it for. Mind you, these are servers not clients. If it was just a client I would cut it down even more.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/