Options

Question about Home T1 Line

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
Today we all use Fast Ethernet which operates up to 100mbps or higher depending on the cabling used. T1's operate at 1.5 mbps. Which is suppose to be ALOT more expensive and ALOT faster than Cable. Why would anyone want to have a T1 Line if it your LAN cabling operates about 100x faster? Looks sort of bottlenecked doesnt it?

Anyone explain this?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fast Ethernet is always 100mbps. Gigabit or 10-gig Ethernet are the faster options.

It's not faster than my cable. I just did 19.3mb down and 3.8mb up. However, cable is a shared medium, so if all my neighbors start using it heavily, the bandwidth available to me decreases.

It is sort of a bottleneck, but you usually need less bandwidth on the internet. Compare sending emails with accessing a local file server. If you need faster internet, you can get a T3 or an OC line.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You're comparing a LAN technology against a WAN technology. A T1 is used to connect your network to the CO. Ethernet is used within your network.

A T1 is slow compared to DSL and cable internet because it was designed over 40 years ago. At the time, 1.544Mbps was very fast. There are higher speed T carriers.

The advantage of getting a T1 or any other kind of leased line is that it is symmetric and that it usually has a SLA unlike DSL and cable internet.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Your cable or DSL can go that fast, but normally won't. And the speed is assured. Meaning, it's not realiable enough for a business to run voice off of.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Your cable or DSL can go that fast, but normally won't.
    1.544Mbps isn't particularly fast for the downlink on a cable or DSL line.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I live in the hills of SE Pennsylvania and would love to have a T1 line. Our old 1930's era phone lines only put out 768K on DSL. We get a discount because of this, but recently the rates went up from 17.99 to 21.99 a month. I didn't get any more speed, but I did have to pay more.

The point is, you can't compare LAN speed to WAN speed.

:)