MCSA by May

Phenom1Phenom1 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need a little advice as to what my next steps should be

My current certs are A+ and MCP(I just passed 70-290)

I want to get my MCSA by this May or June.

What should be my next exam? XP or Vista? Should I take Net+?

I just need a little guidance. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I would take the Net+ and satisfy you elective for the MCSA. The network+ will also lay a good foundation for the CCENT exam if your ever interested in doing a cisco cert. After the Network+ i would take the Vista 620 since it counts towards future 2008 Certs
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    for ease and/or forward mobility, I'd say go with Vista for your OS exam. It's valid for both MCSA & MCITP and it's a lot easier than 270 (although I think you can handle it if you passed 290). I agree that Network+ is a good cert to go for, as it can be used with A+ for your MCSA elective...and it's good info to know anyhow. After that, you can focus your efforts on the 291. Don't underestimate that one though, it doesn't have the nickname "the beast" for nothin...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Phenom1Phenom1 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok great thanks for the advice. I have Net+ material so I'll get to studying!! thanks for the Vista advice!!
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    My advice is to take both 270 and 620

270 - Client OS
    290 - Core
    291 - Core
    620 - Elective

620 also counts as an elective for the MCSE where A+/N+ do not. Later you can use the 620 as your client requirement for the MCITP:EA or EST. When you consider that the 620 exam is cheaper than the N+, that's a lot of certification bang for your buck!
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I'd go with an enterprise level app as your elective and do 70-620 for your client exam. As mentioned above, 620 will help get you MCITP certs down the road if you choose to pursue them. And I think in the end an enterprise level app cert as an elective such as Exchange or SQL would benefit your career more than Network+ or being certified in XP and Vista.
    Good luck to all!