Keep getting this wrong

In the book they tell you again and again, that in order
to use "last Know good" you must not log on.

Also, you cannot use "Last Know Good" if you can't even start the computer and get to the "Advance Menu OPtions : F8.

So can someone exlain to me why in this question the correct answer is "Last Know Good"?
When you can't start the computer after a STOP ERROR, IT SAYS "START PROCESS" FAILS.
SO is this one of those "dumb questions: What am I missing here ? It says the start process is halted, then how can you press the F8 key .

QUESTION NO: 2
You install a new driver for the network interface card (NIC) on your Windows XP
Professional home computer. When you restart the computer, the monitor displays a
STOP error with no text before you are able to log on. Every time you restart the
computer, a STOP error halts the start process.
You need to correct the error without affecting the user data on the computer. You
also need to restore the original network adapter driver.
What should you do?
A. Restart the computer with the last known good configuration.
B. Restart the computer with recovery console

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    You hit the F8 key as the computer is starting up, not after you see an error, and so you should be able to still get into the advanced start menu before that STOP screen pops up. If not, then restart again and give it another shot.

The key part of the info given in the question is: "the monitor displays a STOP error with no text before you are able to log on." This means that the Last Known Good Configuration hasn't been reset to include whatever changes that were made, and you can still get to it. If you logged on and THEN the computer crapped out, then you wouldn't be able to use Last Known Good.

If you tappa-tappa-tappa on that key while you're starting up, then it will bring you to the advanced start up menu. From there you can select Last Known Good & it will load up whatever drivers were present at the last successful log on, which was before the new NIC driver was installed.

If Last Known Good didn't work, then Safe Mode would be your next option probably. You wouldn't go jumping right to recovery console to fix a driver issue.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I interpreted that to mean that the stop error is occurring while windows is loading (when the driver is loaded), so you would be able to hit f8 and use last known good configuration.
  • susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    thankyou again, it's perfectly clear now.

"I also read you would not be able to use "Last known good" if you
    UPgraded your "Hal" or "Your Bios" and after you rebooted you got
    an Stop Error "Hal Mismatch or something ...

In that case, "Last Known Good" is not good at all .... right
    even safe Mode is not good, I don't even think you could use the
    recovery Console or ASR, could you ???

Would you have to use the Windows Disk ?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A BIOS upgrade shouldn't cause problems, but I suppose it's possible.

You don't "upgrade" HALs either. They're dependent on the processor. You'd have a different HAL if you took your HD out of a machine with an Intel CPU and put it in a machine with an AMD CPU. And yes, that would cause a blue screen.

If you do a repair installation, it will install the correct HAL.
  • DaggedDagged Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    or sometimes you have to reinstall windows
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    A BIOS upgrade shouldn't cause problems, but I suppose it's possible.

You don't "upgrade" HALs either. They're dependent on the processor. You'd have a different HAL if you took your HD out of a machine with an Intel CPU and put it in a machine with an AMD CPU. And yes, that would cause a blue screen.

If you do a repair installation, it will install the correct HAL.

And the "core type" of CPU as well e.g. Single-core to multi-core will usually cause this error as well.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security