Options

What is up with this?

procmanprocman Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok i was just on the BBC website and apparently the EU has filed suit against Microsoft for freezing out other browser developers. Yes they include IE in Windows, but firefox, safari, k-meleon, and chrome all run just fine on Windows. what did they do wrong here? BBC NEWS | Business | Microsoft is accused by EU again
K-Meleon 1.5.1
Compaq Presario 723RS

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm quite glad that I live in the United States, because frankly I prefer that Microsoft distributes IE with their operating systems even though I am a Firefox user myself. In my shop in particular since we are a real estate firm, most of our support we provide is to agents who provide their own computers and as such our company doesn't have much in the way of policy on what software is allowed on their computers so long as they utilize our anti-virus software. It would be an annoyance not only for the end user to have to decide and obtain a web browser to use but also an annoyance for me to have to have a much more diverse group of supported browsers potentially.

If the EU has success here.. what's next? Calculator? Notepad? Paint?
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EU = a bloated interventionist organisation
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I remember all the crap Microsoft got for this a few years back. I'll say now what I said then, how is a new user suppose to get online if IE isn't included? If nothing else it is there so they can go on and download whatever browser they want. EU just wants money, plain and simple...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do seem to remember a proposal back then that from the EU Microsoft shipped with Firefox, Netscape & Opera if I remember correctly. Whenever you get a big organisation like this you get idealistic idiots .... just look at the UN
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    RussS wrote: »
    I do seem to remember a proposal back then that from the EU Microsoft shipped with Firefox, Netscape & Opera if I remember correctly. Whenever you get a big organisation like this you get idealistic idiots .... just look at the UN

Honestly, the failings of the UN have far more to do with political compromises made in its inception to ensure the major players (US, Russia, Britain, France, China) would join, not because it's too idealistic.

Anyway, probably best to stick to the topic at hand, not wander off into a historical/political mudfest...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RussS wrote: »

Good thing they didn't get their way... "Windows Update - Google released Chrome, therefore you are being force-fed Google Chrome because the EU hates Microsoft Products".