Options

Vista Hangs on Log Off

cussetacusseta Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
For the last few days, I have been unable to log off of any user account on my Dell laptop running Vista Ultimate. It just hangs on the "Logging Off" screen. I've tried just letting it sit there forever, but with no luck. I've searched online for similar issues and they all seem to be say that it's possibly driver related. Unfortunately, I haven't updated or changed any drivers recently and a system restore didn't help. Any suggestions?
Sometimes you've got to prove to your friends that you're still worth a damn!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How does it work with safe mode? Is there anything in the event logs?
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Sounds like similar problems I have seen with Windows XP where the user profile would not unload because a registry key was still in use. MS released an application called UPHClean that would remap these registry keys so the logoff would be completed.

This wasn't supposed to happen in Vista because the UPHClean function was included in the user profile service. In fact, the UPHClean v1.6 program won't even install on Vista. However, it looks like there is a new (beta) version of UPHClean v2.0.49.0 that fixes some of the new problems on Vista.

UPHClean and other profile ramblings

Luckily it is an .msi so you can deploy it using group policy.
  • Options
    cussetacusseta Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UPHClean didn't work. I can log off when in Safe Mode. And event viewer is equally screwed up. I keep getting an error stating that "Event Viewer cannot open the event log...Verify that Event Log Service is running..." I checked and it IS running. I'm so lost.
    Sometimes you've got to prove to your friends that you're still worth a damn!