Options

why do I need router to share my internet connection

mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
why do I need router to share my internet connection , if already you able to share your connection without router from xp machine (set up a home or small office network)

we have satellite internet connection and thinking to bring router , if it deserve

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You don't really need one, just makes it easier than turning your box into a switch with a bunch of NICs. Hell you could hang a hub off the back up it and use it that way really.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
    adventages of using router to share internet connection plz
  • Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    mcse_696 wrote: »

Its designed for that specific purpose.
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mcse_696 wrote: »

I am generally speaking here, but most SOHO routers have integrated switches and Wi-Fi capabilities built in to one device. Secondly, the integrated switches are multi-port (usually four) compared to the necessity of having multiple NICs on your PC for ICS (which can cost the same as just buying a router). Furthermore, SOHO routers usually have a more robust setup and fairly easy to use GUI; which includes things like DHCP (which ICS kinda does, but nowhere near the flexibility), wireless encryption, port forwarding, DMZ, etc. Lastly, it takes network traffic off your PC and applies it to the routing device instead. Weather that has a huge impact on network performace, I dont really know; and I never really tested it before.

if this doesnt make sense, i apologize, but its 0400 and halfway done with my shift, and running of 3 cups o' coffee icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Wrong forum to ask this but anyway...

You don't need to leave your PC on all the time.
    You're more likely to reboot your Windows PC than a router.
    A router usually is smaller, quieter and less power hungry than a PC.
    A router is more reliable than a PC because it doesn't have hard disks.
    A router in theory is more secure than a PC because it isn't running a full OS.

Etc...
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, wrong forum.

Turn-key hardware solution vs. a software-based solution... That's about it really. If you use the software-based solution and that computer goes down, then you effectively have become a victim of a single-point of failure and now all your other computers are without internet access. Most hardware based solutions are extremely reliable and do not succumb to nasty little pests like a computer virus. There are many more pro's and con's as mentioned earlier. Spend the extra money, get a nice router, and have peace of mind. Being worry free can cost money too...