Not too bad of a transition

lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
While reading up on this, the CLI of junos is not that far off from cisco. Junos has two modes of CLI, operational mode and configure mode.

operational mode is equivalent to priviledge exec mode, and configure mode is equivalent to ( yep u guessed it) configuration mode.

In junos , operation mode (privigle exec) is charactized by the > symbol (user exec symbol in IOS.)
In Junos, configure mode is characted by the # symbol (priviledge exec in IOS)

In junos operational mode is where a user can submit show commands , ping, telnet and monitor command. In configure mode, commands used to configure protocols and services can be submitted...

Junos has a way to submit show and operational level commands in configure mode, by using the word run before the command. ( equal to the DO command in IOS)

in junos when you log in the prompt changed to the username@hostname.

for instance.. my username is marcus, and the hostname of the router is R1....once i login the prompt will start off in operational mode and look like this: marcus@R1>

In configure mode, to run commands you have to use some set commands.. for instance to enable telnet the command will be
marcus@R1#set system services telnet

Junos also has a heirarchical approach to their CLI, just like microsoft windwos does ... For example under C: (c drive) there are folder such as windows, programs, drivers ect. Junos is the same way.. The top or root of the directory is called (edit) so when issuing the command to enable telnet. i am in the subdirectory services which is in the subdirectory of system, which is in the directory of the root edit.

This can help save me some time when typing in commands... for instance:

[edit]
marcus@R1# edit system services

[edit system services]
marcus@R1# set telnet

do you see how i used the work edit in front of the commands to
change directories.

i went into the systems directory and under system, i went into
the subdirectory services.
so all i had to type is SET TELNET under the subdirectories.
which is the same as using the command set system services telnet
under the EDIT directory...

did you follow along ???? You see its not that bad of a transition
from the Good almight and dominant IOS...
i kinda like the directories, and how you can change directories
with the edit command..

also i forgot to mention to delete a command, use delete instead of set

and Juniper doesnt enable the command once you type it, you have
to use the command commit (which i think sux)....

I think ima takle the JNCIA-ER and JNCIS-ER track along with
JNCIA-M and JNCIS-M track after my CCIP studies, or probably
along with my CCIP studies.. From what i heard, the JNCIA-ER is
easy... I might be temtped to get this done after my
ISCW exam just to have another cert under my belt...
NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    JUNOS isn't too bad. I work with primarily Cisco but we have quite a few Juniper M10s also that I get to mess around with. We are testing out some of the EX switches now so I may get to get my hands dirty in those also. Of course the Netscreens are everywhere so a few years in the networking industry your bound to touch at least a few of those.

I have been thinking about doing some Juniper certs too, but the Cisco certifications are in much higer demand. I'm already deep in the Cisco track and I really can't justify sidetracking now.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    JUNOS isn't too bad. I work with primarily Cisco but we have quite a few Juniper M10s also that I get to mess around with. We are testing out some of the EX switches now so I may get to get my hands dirty in those also. Of course the Netscreens are everywhere so a few years in the networking industry your bound to touch at least a few of those.

I have been thinking about doing some Juniper certs too, but the Cisco certifications are in much higer demand. I'm already deep in the Cisco track and I really can't justify sidetracking now.

I'm in the same boat..... but however @ the new job they are thinking of deploying MX series routes for a metro network and we are about to start testing EX switches... I love the virtual chassis design and being able to extend it over fibre... brilliant!

I'm concentrating on finishing my CCIP first though... then while studying for CCIE, I might dabble with Juniper studies... I've also heard the JNCIA-ER is extremely easy as long as you have your CCNA.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Thanks for the write up. I think I am going to get my JNCIA-ER next month, just to get my feet wet with Juniper, then see from there. I think Juniper understands that there is a lot of people who do Cisco first, and its in their best interest to make JUNOS as similar to IOS as much as possible.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It just seems too simple of a difference... If it really is that simple, I may consider taking both JNCIA tracks for M and ER this year. I will be a lot more motivated to do this if I get a networking job this year.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I loved the JUNOS stuff when I was at Sprint. When you look at a config it is hierarchical in nature, which I personally think makes it easier to read than the Cisco configs.

As for certification, the underlying technologies aren't going to differ much outside of Cisco's proprietary technologies, so you are basically just going to have to learn some command syntax in my opinion.

Their professional level track is one long 8 hour exam if I remember correctly, rather than breaking it up into 4 exams like Cisco does, which means you are getting tested over EVERYTHING at once.
  • lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    A.P.A wrote: »
    I'm concentrating on finishing my CCIP first though... then while studying for CCIE, I might dabble with Juniper studies... I've also heard the JNCIA-ER is extremely easy as long as you have your CCNA.

yeah me too, My first intentions were getting through the CCIP first, and then hit the JNCIA-er/m and JNCIS -er/m but i think i maybe hit the JNICA-ER and M after my CCNA security... which will be after my ISCW exam.

I heard also that the JNCIA-ER is extremely easy, so that can be another cert under my belt icon_thumright.gif.

I have a good cisco lab, but i would like to buy some juniper routers, how much are these going for on EBAY.. looking for the J-series and M-series that are as cheap as possible, but will be adequate enough for me to gets some hand-on for the JNCIA and JNCIS.... does anyone know ?
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    lildeezul wrote: »
    I have a good cisco lab, but i would like to buy some juniper routers, how much are these going for on EBAY.. looking for the J-series and M-series that are as cheap as possible, but will be adequate enough for me to gets some hand-on for the JNCIA and JNCIS.... does anyone know ?

Bloody expensive..... trust me I've looked... as most of the kit is in U.S my shipping charges are through the roof!!!

Take a look you might have a better chance..... Lots of cisco kit on Ebay Aus not much Juniper though...

That reminds me I've got more equipment to chuck in my lab this weekend :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Expect anywhere from about $1000 to $4000 for your basic J or M series. There is MUCH less used Juniper equipment out there compared to Cisco, so don't expect to come across too many deals. Netscreens can be had cheap.

Olive is your best bet for hands on if you don't have access at work.

Olive - JuniperClue