Options

First try at Resume....

Shiz StainShiz Stain Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Wazz Upp,

I have to do an interview with someone at school ( I'm guessing the IT person) and I was told I have to make a resume. I honestly don't know what it is but I looked at some examples and used the template MS-word had and this is what I got...

Objective Secure an internship in IT field.

Education
Studying for Network + Certification
In a Computer Networking class 3hrs everyday

Interests and activities
Play video games, help people with computer problems, help my
father in construction/ sign making/ graphic design.

Languages English and Bosnian

Work experience
Able to fix computer with viruses, trojans, spyware, and malware.
Replace computer parts – motherboard, hardrive, cd/dvd drive, processor, and
peripherals- graphic cards, sound cards, NIC.

Troubleshoot problems – printer not working, no audio, cannot open/save document,
no internet connection, mouse/keyboard not working, other devices not getting
detected by computer like cameras, graphic card, NIC, monitors, and webcams etc.

Install/Remove software correctly

Network Computers

Do construction work

References Mrs.Petsch
Mrs. Lato
Mr. Shickendanz

I know this is probably like the worse resume you have seen but this was my first try at it. I would like to know what I could add/remove and stuff like that to make it atleast decent.

Thanks ^^

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Write it on a piece of yellow legal paper with a green crayon, and you're set! icon_lol.gif

I kid, I kid.

Check out this guys: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/39498-being-specific-vague-enough-resume.html

Try and follow that type of format. You can leave references off. If they want them, they'll ask. I'm not sure how applicable "construction work" is going to be either. You might want to leave off the stuff that isn't important. I can juggle, but I don't put it on my resume (I save that for the interview).
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Wow, pretty bad, but everyone has to start somewhere!

I'd go with a summary rather than an objective personally, but if you leave the objective I'd add a little more beef to it such as "Motivated student seeking an internship in the IT field to gain valuable hands on experience" or something along those lines. Something more than "I want an internship!"

The Education section you should put the school and the eventual degree and an estimated time of completion instead of just class three hours a day.

I'd yank the whole interests section. I'd personally yank the language section or at least try to fit it in with another section unless they position requires a language and you want to highlight that.

The work experience section should be broken down into the jobs you held for example:
    Help Desk Lackey
    Help Desk Inc.                                              1900 - present

What you did goes here in either bullet or paragraph format.

If you do not have any past jobs you can switch this into a skills section and list your skills.

You can go ahead and yank the references too. They will ask for them if they want them!

Don't worry it took me a while to get my resume ready. Still every time I look at it I end up changing things around.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    thanks everyone. I honestly had no clue what I was doing (still kind of don't) but its always good to know that someone is willing to help you out. I just put in stuff next to the topic haha
  • Options
    NSSANSSA Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Help Desk Lackey
    Help Desk Inc.                                              1900 - present

What you did goes here in either bullet or paragraph format.

My heart goes out to this poor SOB. His ability to remain ageless in his chosen occupation is commendable, however.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wonder what helpdesks were like in 1900....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    NSSA wrote: »
    My heart goes out to this poor SOB. His ability to remain ageless in his chosen occupation is commendable, however.

I'd have to say that working helpdesk for over 100 years would drive me nuts.icon_cry.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    markk2008markk2008 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A tip.

I noticed that you haven't listed any of your qualifications on there, I would list these if you have any as employers always look for those kind of things for school leavers, I'm guessing you're a school leaver?
    People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look up some of the job website job description and see if that help you to define your experience. To be honest, your resume is not a resume.

You need to do research on how to write resume in the format that everybody can understand you.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Sorry it took a while for me to respond. Today at school I had help from someone who does resume and interview skills type of thing. He helped me make this resume and gave me good suggestion and stuff and then he had me practice interviewing skills...which was weird lmao because I never did it before.

But the good news is I got the resume done and I have an interview at school for an internship ^^.

Once i get MS-office on this computer I will upload it
  • Options
    Objective: To secure an internship in the field of Information Technology.

Summary of Qualifications:
    Unwavering work ethic
    Good problem solving and follow through skills
    Impeccably punctual and flexible
    Proficient in computer repair, virus alleviation, troubleshooting and most PC–related software and hardware

Education:
    Diploma, Core Curriculum Studies, expected May 2009
    Gateway Institute of Technology (IT) High School, St. Louis, Missouri
    Relate Coursework: Computer Connectivity, Visual Basic, Advanced Microsoft Applications

Additional Qualifications:
    Currently I volunteer my time working with my father on jobs that require construction, graphic design and sign-making, May 2002 to Present
    Fluent in Bosnian

References:
    Lori Petsch, Health Careers Instructor – Gateway IT High School

Christine Lato, Autism Instructor – Gateway IT High School

Dennis Shickendanz, Mathematics Instructor – Gateway IT High School

Ok this is the resume I had help with from one of literacy coaches from school
    tell me what you think
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Well Mr. Shiz Stain, it's a start.

I love the term "virus alleviation"! I assume you are going for a very entry level position, so they will understand your lack of experience. You'll just have to impress them with your attitude in the interview. Good luck.
  • Options
    I had the interview today with the head IT lady at school....

I think I did pretty good I introduced myself, we talked, she asked me a few questions ( I believe I answered them pretty well), and I her laugh a few times which I believed showed her im calm and determined. Then we ended the interview and I went back to class.

She said she has one person to talk to about something and said by Monday she will tell me if I got the internship or not.

I just would like to thank everyone here for there help and advice and above all I love how this forum isn't full of "little lies" or "lies" at all. By this I mean everyone is straight forward they give you the full deal tell you whats expected and the give you "tough love".

So once again thanks everyone ^^

***If I land the internship it will be at school for 3 days a week (maybe all week depending on the situation) for 3hrs a day. If will write back wheter or not I got it ^^
  • Options
    Good luck on the internship!
  • Options
    Good news everyone turns out I got the internship :p

But it will only be for 2 days a week I think, either way im happy that I managed to get an internship and will get some experience. Above all I will start to get a "feel" for networking and see whats it really about.

Once again thanks for the help and advice everyone ^^
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks ^^

turns out I will do Tuesday.Wednesday. and Thursday for periods 5,6, and 7. Starting tomorrow and she said we have quite a few things to do. Some kind of curious of what ahah.