Options

Webmail vs Traditional Corpmail?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
Other than to save money is there any reason to move from hosting a more traditional internal mail server using something like Domino/Exchange/Groupwise vs a hosted offsite webmail like Postfix?

This is for an office of 100 users and 25 Servers.

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My answer would be ... "But why?"
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can actually setup gmail to host email services for your domain. I could see that being useful for small businesses with no IT staff, but it doesn't seem to make sense for larger businesses with the ability to do it in-house.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would much prefer to do it in house. If you use an outside service, you will likely have much less control over the configuration of your e-mail services - and if you get to the level of having a full blown dedicated box hosted outside, then you might as well just have it in house.

The other reason I prefer having things in house if possible, is I trust myself and my co-workers more with administration and taking care of problems should they arise than I would trust an outside vendor. Perhaps trust isn't the best word since I can think of a lot of vendors I trust - maybe the best way to word it is I would much prefer physical access to my e-mail server should a problem arise and users are calling and/or ringing the doorbell to the IT department so I can immediately begin working on the issue instead of waiting for an outside vendor to get working on it and kind of being in the dark between phone calls as to a status update.
  • Options
    Also, check out MailStreet Exchange Hosting, Email Outsourcing using Microsoft Exchange 2007 Server,Outsource Corporate Email if you're looking for hosted Exchange. I just setup another small business with them, and it's working out great. Outlook web access, activesync for their iPhones, etc. It's great for a dozen users with no one to manage it for them. You'd be paying a grand each month for 100 users though, so it's hard to justify not bringing it in-house.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    RussS wrote: »
    My answer would be ... "But why?"

See that's what I'm trying to figure out. We currently use Lotus Domino/Notes and there has been talk since I started about migrating to Exchange.

I manage the Corporate office and there are 2 guys in Austin that manage the outside network customers. They are big *nix guys. Which don't get me wrong I'm very excited to see what something like Zimbra can do in the future, they are suggesting moving to Postfix for our entire corp solution and hosted off site in a data center.

"it dawned on me that I have never received a calendar invitation from anyone using Lotus Notes in the office? If we're not using Notes for anything other than email, it probably makes sense to ignore Exchange and move right into a generic email environment like the one we provide our customers."

I'm just trying to see if there is any benefit to this other than cost reduction.

It sounds to me though, that they just want control over the corp mail system which they don't have now.
  • Options
    You're going to have to determine what your needs are and select an appropriate product. I still don't see why you wouldn't do it in house, even if it was a *nix solution.

What about things like OWA and mobile devices?
  • Options
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    "it dawned on me that I have never received a calendar invitation from anyone using Lotus Notes in the office? If we're not using Notes for anything other than email, it probably makes sense to ignore Exchange and move right into a generic email environment like the one we provide our customers."

I'm just trying to see if there is any benefit to this other than cost reduction.

It sounds to me thought, that they just want control over the corp mail system which they don't have now.

Do you have data on how many people use any of the features of Lotus Notes that an e-mail only environment wouldn't provide? If people are in fact not using it, do they fully understand the features available to them and/or do they know how to use them? Are the "big *nix guys" directing you to Postfix simply because they are *nix guys and just have a hatred for anything MS (there are a lot of people out there like that, so close minded when it comes to any mention of MS or commercial software for that matter sometimes).

I'm not trying to say that anything *nix based would be bad, but I wouldn't want just straight e-mail... I'm far too connected to Outlook for that. I think as dynamik suggested, determine what exactly your needs are, think of why the features available to you aren't used and if they were if it would help increase productivity. Then make a choice after a careful analysis.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    In my current place we have around 3000 user and have a hosted email solution.

tbh it drives me nuts, as those who support it are currently migrating to an exchange based system (still hosted solution) and keep making basic errors. I'm part of the pilot for the migration and I've had several arguements about set up and configs already.

I HATE it but given I'm the only person in the team with any email experince I can understand their reluctance to bring it in house, given they know I'm trying to emigrate.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    In my current place we have around 3000 user and have a hosted email solution.

Wow, if I might ask... how much does a hosted solution for 3000 users cost you?
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    It all depends on your situation. If you have mail and you don't have high security concerns then let someone else host it. If you have concerns about security then keep it in house so there is some accountability. The last thing you want is something to leak and all you get is a apology from a company. We host for a lot of companies, but everyone who has high security concerns the piece of mind they get from knowing they don't have to call into a a help desk or some type of call center is more than worth the money.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote: »
    Also, check out MailStreet Exchange Hosting, Email Outsourcing using Microsoft Exchange 2007 Server,Outsource Corporate Email if you're looking for hosted Exchange. I just setup another small business with them, and it's working out great. Outlook web access, activesync for their iPhones, etc. It's great for a dozen users with no one to manage it for them. You'd be paying a grand each month for 100 users though, so it's hard to justify not bringing it in-house.

+1. 100 user environment? Unless they have a specific need, they shouldn't host their own.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    empc4000xl wrote: »
    It all depends on your situation. If you have mail and you don't have high security concerns then let someone else host it. If you have concerns about security then keep it in house so there is some accountability. The last thing you want is something to leak and all you get is a apology from a company. We host for a lot of companies, but everyone who has high security concerns the piece of mind they get from knowing they don't have to call into a a help desk or some type of call center is more than worth the money.

That also assumes the customer isn't delusional about security risks and actually secures their infrastructure carefully. A lot of 100 node networks fail to even audit basic things like client machine patch levels and if they even have AV on all clients and servers. If you can't do that, let someone host your email, because your email wasn't going to be secure if you hosted it anyway.
    Wow, if I might ask... how much does a hosted solution for 3000 users cost you?

Also compare that to how much it costs you to host your own, factoring costs of physical hardware, implementation costs, support personnel, heating and cooling, backup infrastructure, AV agents, antispam however you're gonna do it, licensing, etc. It's all about total cost of ownership.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    If you can't do that, let someone host your email, because your email wasn't going to be secure if you hosted it anyway.

Email, secure? icon_lol.gif

In all seriousness though... Isn't email completely interceptable once it's sent out to the internet? (assuming you don't use encryption certificates, which seem like a big pain in the ass that I've never even seen used) So would it even make a difference whether it's hosted in-house or not?

Unless your speaking about securing the server and not email in general, then I could agree.