Options

Probably a stupid question... =)

gezzygezzy Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
Im pretty new to this site, and this is my first post.. So I better make it a silly one =)

So here goes the question: Is it possible to replace my adsl modem with a dedicated pc?
And if so, what do I need?

Right now I have a speedtouch 585 router.

I apologize if this is stupid question.

Comments

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can I ask what your goal is and why are you thinking of doing this?

For ADSL you will need some kind of ADSL USB modem or router in order to connect to the internet and your PC sits behind it.
  • Options
    gezzygezzy Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I was just curious mostly.. I like having options =)
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The short answer is you need some kind of device that speaks "the same language" as the internet service provider i.e. BT, NTL, Virgin Media.

The ADSL modem or router which connects to the phone line uses a protocol pppoa. The receiving end (ISP MUX) receives the pppoa connection and username / password credentials, therefore the router / modem is making the connection on behalf of you. The architecture is pretty complex to explain if you don't have any experience with it.

The only alternative you have is to use dial-up internet access, where you would unplug your router / modem from the telephone line and plug your PC directly into the phone line using the modem.

This will tie up your land line when you're connected and the speed will be abysmal (although we all used to use this method before broadband existed for the home user)!